For this church:
Hospital Chapel of St John the Evangelist
Bassetlaw and Bawtry Deanery
Located at the south end of the green, and now a private house is the former hospital of St John the Evangelist.
A leper hospital was founded at nearby Hodsock sometime after 1199 by the William Cressy, lord of Hodsock, with a warden and 3 chaplains. It was moved to Blyth in 1446 as it was apparently derelict with no lepers remaining. It was evidently rebuilt using earlier material, probably brought from the Hodsock site. It was refounded as a hospital for poor strangers and pregnant women.
At the Reformation the hospital had an income of £8 14s. though it escaped confiscation under the action of both Henry VIII and Edward VI.
In 1695 it was in use as a school, though as late as 1703 there is record of one Thomas Ousely being master of this hospital.
The building is of stone, rectangular, and has a 13th century segmental-arched doorway containing dogtooth ornament; the same ornament is evident also in the jambs.
Thanks to Dr Christopher Brooke for this information.