For this church:
Bede House Chapel
Newark and Southwell Deanery
The chapel was built to serve the now demolished almshouses which were endowed by William Phillipot in 1556.
It is a small, stone-built, single cell chapel, with a Tudor-arched doorway towards the west end of the south side. It has restored, 3-light mullioned windows with arched heads beneath flat tops, in the east and north walls. On the apex of the roof at the west end is a small timber bellcote. The interior was refitted c.1980, and the roof has two span beams, but the original roof has been dated to 1554 by dendrochronology.
The interior fittings have long since vanished and there is now just a simple altar which is used for Odinist ceremonies.
Particular thanks to Dr Chris Brooke and Andy Nicholson for research on this entry and to