St Paulinus


The building comprises nave, chancel, and sanctuary under a continuous roof, with a north porch, south transept, baptistery, and south porch. There is no tower. The entire structure dates from a single phase of building in 1931 to the designs of Messrs Naylor, Sale, & Woore of Derby, and built by Messrs Greenwood of Mansfield. A large extension of 2005 by Graeme Renton lies at the north-east angle of the church and is connected to it via a doorway where the fourth window on the north side of the nave originally was.

The style is uniformly neo-Romanesque with a decidedly Italianate feel to it, typical of many British inter-War public buildings. Its interior features reflect this general architectural style, but contain important variations such as the unusual mosaic-lined font and the ornate, scrolled metal door furniture.

Technical Summary

Timbers and roofs

  Nave Chancel Tower
Main Shaped brick corbels carrying wood imposts to a kingpost roof with double tie beams and a coved, carved wallplate; all 1931. Shaped brick corbels carrying wood imposts to a kingpost roof with double tie beams and a coved, carved wallplate; all 1931. n/a
S.Aisle Lean-to; 1931 n/a  
N.Aisle Lean-to; 1931 n/a  
Other principal      
Other timbers      


Simple gantry for a single bell above south porch entrance with ornate projecting roof. All of 1931. Not scheduled for preservation Grade 5.


  Nave Chancel Tower
Plaster covering & date No plaster. All built with open brickwork. No plaster. All built with open brickwork. n/a
Potential for wall paintings None. None. n/a

Excavations and potential for survival of below-ground archaeology

The fabric of the current building dates from 1931on a new site which was formerly agricultural fields. All above-ground fabric appears to date from a single phase of building in 1931.

The churchyard is circular in shape and sits on a large traffic island, surrounded by roads. There are no burials or memorials. The entire planned structure of church and churchyard date from 1931.

The overall potential for the survival of below-ground archaeology in the churchyard is considered to be LOW comprising mainly construction evidence from 1931 and later landscaping. Below the present interior floors of the entire building it is considered to be LOW being principally stratigraphy from the 1931 building, but with UNKNOWN potential for any archaeological stratigraphy prior to 1931; in 1885 the site was a field. There are no internal burials.The archaeology of the upstanding fabric is principally that of a single building phase of 1931 with an extension at the north-east of 2005; the main building structure is representative of the general architecture of the inter-War period and as such its potential is HIGH.

Exterior:There are no burials. Deposits around the church may contain evidence of the 1931construction, and contemporary and later landscaping.

Interior:Stratigraphy under the entire building is likely to comprise exclusively 1931 deposits. Upstanding fabric is largely intact from 1931 with little alteration except for the extension of 2005 to the north-east.