For this church:
Bassetlaw and Bawtry Deanery
A church existed to serve the medieval village of Rufford prior to the foundation of the abbey in 1146. It evidently continued to be used after the monks moved in but its history is obscure, with scant reference. The site is currently unknown but probably lay within the former village of Rufford.
No picture of this church is known. The image on this page is a manuscript representation of a church taken from a depiction of Henry II held in the British Library, London.
Thanks to Dr Christopher Brooke for this information.