Sutton-in-Ashfield St Mary Magdalene

Official Listing Description

SK 45 NE





(north side)

Church of St Mary Magdalene
(formerly listed under Alfreton Road)

Grade II*

Parish church. C12, C13, C14, C15, C19. Chancel rebuilt 1854. Restored and aisles enlarged 1867. Coursed and squared rubble and dressed stone. Ashlar dressings. Gabled and lean-to slate roofs. Plinth, chamfered eaves, coped gables, some with crosses. West tower, nave, north and south aisles, organ chamber, vestry, chancel, south porch. Tower and spire, c.1395, 2 stages, has moulded and chamfered plinth, chamfered string course, coved eaves with spouts and crenellated parapet. To west, 2 diagonal buttresses, 4 setoffs. To east, 2 plain buttresses engaged with aisles. South side has stair lights. West side has moulded doorway with hood moulds. Above it, a lancet. Second stage has 4 double lancet openings with chamfered and rebated angular- headed reveals. Set back octagonal spire with weathercock. Nave clerestory, 4 bays, has on each side 4 ogee headed double lancets, C19, with square headed reveals and hood moulds. North aisle with continuous organ chamber, 6 bays, has 6 buttresses and 6 untraceried double ogee lancets with square headed reveals and hood moulds. South aisle, 5 bays, has 4 buttresses. 4 lancets similar to north aisle. East end has restored C14 ogee double lancet with flowing tracery and hood mould. Vestry, mid C19, 2 bays, has flat roof with coped parapet. North side has 3 buttresses and 2 ogee double lancets with hood moulds. East side has moulded doorway flanked by single ogee double lancets. Chancel, 2 bays, has at east end triple lancet, Decorated style, 1907, with hood mould and stops. South side has off-centre pointed doorway flanked by single C14 double lancets with hood moulds. Gabled south porch, mid C19, has 2 diagonal buttresses. Simple moulded doorway with hood mould. Interior has wooden benches and common rafter roof. Inner doorway, double chamfered and rebated, restored, has hood mould. Chamfered and rebated tower arch, C14, has traceried crested timber war memorial screen, c.1920. North arcade, C12, 4 bays, restored, has 3 round piers with simple bases and waterleaf capitals. Triple shaft east respond with stiff leaf capital and masks. Chamfered and rebated arches. South arcade, C13, has round piers, those to west with octagonal capitals. Arches similar to north arcade. Nave has principal rafter roof with arch braces and struts, 1867. North and south aisles have arch braced lean-to roofs with moulded corbels. North aisle west end has 3 re-set corbels. North side has stained glass windows 1907, 1921, 1922, 1928. East end has chamfered archway with traceried screen, 1907. South aisle east end has C19 stained glass window flanked by single figure brackets. South side has to east, C14 cusped piscina and stained glass windows 1891, 1902, 1916, 1951. Chancel arch, C13, chamfered and moulded, has keeled responds with water holding bases. Chancel north side has opening contaning organ in corbelled case. East end has oak dado, 1909 and traceried panelled reredos and stained glass window, 1907. South side windows have patterned stained glass. Fittings include C12 pillar piscina, C19 octagonal font, traceried octagonal ashlar pulpit, 1866, and brass eagle lectern, 1900. Late C19 and mid C20 panelled stalls, desks and benches. Mid C18 table. Memorials include Classical marble and slate tablet with obelisk and female figure, to William Unwin, 1774. 5 brasses, C19 and C20. Marble and alabaster tablets, 1859 and 1918. Two alabaster and mosaic war memorial panels, c1920. Plain war memorial tablet c1945.