For this church:
Greasley St Mary
Core fabric 1882 and 1896 (rebuilt) with C15th west tower
Nave with north and south aisles, chancel, rebuilt 1896
Choir Vestry added 1910 on north side of chancel; vicar’s vestry added 1963 on centre south side of chancel
The building may have retained its medieval plan form though the body was rebuilt, possibly on its original foundations, in 1896
Significant Interior Features
Font base possibly C15th
Some fragments of medieval glass
C19th and C20th interior fittings
Timbers and roofs
Cast-iron, low-sided frame, Elphick Z / Pickford 8.2A - 1922 by Taylors of Loughborough
Not scheduled for preservation. Grade 5
Excavations and potential for survival of below-ground archaeology
No recorded excavations have been undertaken. The interior floors of the body were severely disrupted in the 1896 rebuild. However, the basic plan of the building may reflect the medieval scheme and may be set close to, on on, the medieval foundations. The tower has survived intact from the C15th.
The overall potential for the survival of below-ground archaeology in the churchyard is considered moderate-high and below the present interior floors of the nave, aisles, and chancel is considered to be LOW-moderate. The potential below the tower floor is moderate-high.
Exterior: Largely inhumation burials, medieval to C19th. Boundaries may have importance in the development of the site.
Interior: Nave and Chancel severely disturbed; destruction and building debiris from 1896 likely to dominate, though medieval material probably interspersed. Some medieval stratigraphy may survive intact at lower levels. The tower is C15th and has remained from the medieval building, the potential for medieval stratigraphy in this area is therefore higher than for the remainder of the building.
Standing fabric of nave and chancel is largely late C19th, though some earlier work reused in the chancel east wall.