For this church:
Features and Fittings
Apart from the medieval pillar piscina and three nineteenth century pews with shaped ends, now located in the north aisle, the majority of the fittings date from the 1912 restoration.
The church possesses a remarkable thirteenth century pillar piscina comprising a colonnette with a capital of windswept stiff-leaf decoration, which would have been used for washing the sacred vessels after Mass. It is located in the south-east corner of the chancel, and is slightly obscured by more recent timber panelling.
The choir stalls, the dean’s stall on the north side, the priest’s stall on the south side, and the sedilia (seat for ministers), date from c.1912, as does the nicely moulded dado rail.
The panelled timber pulpit and the gilt-painted wooden eagle lectern are of 1912.
The finely carved rood screen in the chancel arch is also c.1912. It is in the Perpendicular style and comprises seven bays with a central opening and carved spandrels. The carving includes the crossed keys symbol of St Peter and the crossed swords of St Paul.
The octagonal font dates from 1912 and sits on an earlier chamfered octagonal plinth with traceried panels. The carved oak cover surmounted by the figure of an angel was added in 1929. The inscription around the bottom of the font cover reads:
In 2010 the tower archway between the ringing platform and the nave was glazed in, and decorated with the crossed keys and swords of SS Peter and Paul. The gallery screen also depicts the ‘Pious Pelican’, who pierces her breast to feed her young with her own blood, and is thus regarded as a symbol of Christ.
A painting of the Madonna and Child by Carlo Falcini, a copy of a Murillo in the Pitti Gallery, Florence, is located in the Lady Chapel. It was donated in January 1927.