For this church:
Normanton-on-Trent St Matthew
The churchwardens’ accounts of 1842-1900 do not detail payments to anyone for working the bellows of an organ, so it is inferred that St Matthew’s never possessed one.
A harmonium was installed on 15th December 1897, the gift of Miss Jane Esam and her married sister, in memory of their uncle, Mr G Esam, churchwarden for 22 years. Manufactured by Alexandre of Paris and supplied by Messrs Harston & Sons of Newark, it contained 5 octaves of reeds in the treble and 4 in the base (Nottinghamshire Archives, ref PR 10,843). It remains in the church.