Ruddington St Peter


The organ chamber lies behind the Lady Chapel on the north side of the chancel.

The organ was designed and installed in 1908 by Roger Yates at a cost of £900. It is a Brindley and Foster organ, originally blown by hand until in 1911 mechanical pumping apparatus was installed, costing £20 0s 9d according to churchwardens’ accounts for the year ending Easter 1912. It was tuned in that year for £4. The pipework was imported from Germany. There is an inscription on the case:

To the Glory of God and in loving memory of Philo Laos Mills (who died 20/08/1901) and his wife, Susan Neilson, this organ is dedicated by the Right Rev W N McVicker (bishop of Rhode Island) and his sister, Elveretta Constable McVicker 28/06/1908

A new console was added in 1934 in memory of Elizabeth Ann Hardy aged 19 (d14 October 1934). She was the daughter of Eben and Dorothea Hardy of Ruddington Hall.

Twentieth-century organists have included Douglas Madden 1953-7, who left to become organist at St Peter’s in Nottingham. The Lincoln firm of Cousans was involved in its overhaul, and later in the 1980s it was insured for £60,000. Rewiring was carried out by John Kennedy in 1994.