Elton St Michael and All Angels


The southern section of
the churchyard
The south-western section
of the churchyard

The churchyard is roughly rectangular in shape and covers 0.24 ha in area. The church is located in the centre and there are burials on all sides.

The boundaries are a mixture of hedges (on the west and east sides), a brick wall (on the south) and metal railings on the north. The railings were made by Gordon Gill, a blacksmith based in Aslockton, and erected in 2002. The northern boundary also includes a metal gate with an overthrow and stone gate piers.

Alongside the south wall of the chancel is the listed chest tomb commemorating the Rev Abel Collin Launder, who was rector of Elton from 1750 until his death in 1803, and his wife, Margaret, who died in 1780.

There are also two groups of listed slate grave markers on the south of the nave and to the south-east of the chancel.

Railings on the
north side
Gate to the
Tomb chest to Abel
Collin Launder
Grave marker to
Nicholas Bootby
Grave marker to
John Burrows