St Michael and All Angels

Features and Fittings

According to The Grantham Journal of 4 June 1910 the restoration work of 1909-1910 involved the replacement of a 'curious three-decker pulpit and reading pew' with 'a new pulpit, reading desk, lectern, and chancel-rails, according to the early Jacobean designs of the Rev Henry Wardale Hall, former curate of St John’s Spittlegate, and Somerby.' All the new church furniture was made of oak by Messrs. Curtis and Moore of Lincoln.

Pulpit and lectern Pulpit Reader's desk Choir stalls and
chancel rail

The 17th century communion rail has 'turned balusters, large top and bottom rails and two large ball and stalk finials.'

The plain round stone font has a circular base. At some point in the 19th century it replaced an octagonal font sketched by William Stretton in 1803.

On the west wall of the nave are two Commandment Boards and two boards inscribed with the Lord's Prayer and The Apostles' Creed.

Communion rail Font

Sketch of the
previous font

Commandment Boards


There are two hatchments on the south wall of the chancel:

Frances (d.1822) one of the coheiresses of Cornelius Launder

The arms of William Fletcher Norton Norton and his first wife, Ursula, coheiress of Cornelius Launder

There is a third hatchment on the north wall of the nave:

The arms of W. F. Norton Norton (d. 1865) and the impaled arms are those of his second wife, Sarah Briscoe, who had been twice previously married.