For this church:
Milton All Saints (Mausoleum)
Official Listing Description
The following are listed:
Parish church, now redundant and maintained by the Redundant Church Fund, 1832 by Sir Robert Smirke as a mausoleum for the Duchess of the fourth Duke of Newcastle. Ashlar. Lead roofs. Set on a plinth. Pedimented gables. Single Doric pilaster at each corner with fully detailed entablature. Latin cross plan. Nave, chancel, north and south tomb chambers in the manner of transepts and east mausoleum, with an octagonal lantern at the crossing. The lantern of 2 stages is set on a square base which supports a colonnade with 8 Greek Doric columns, the wall behind has 8 glazing bar cross fixed lights with moulded eared architraves. Above is an octagonal drum with 8 louvred lights topped with a dome with single cross. West front with central doorway, 2 steps up, having a panelled wooden door and over panel with moulded eared architrave flanked by single pilasters. Flanking the steps are single ashlar blocks. The north wall has 5 cross windows with painted panels simulating glazing bars below the transom, and casements above. All with moulded eared architraves. The north chamber has in the north wall a single similar window flanked by single pilasters. To the left of the chamber is a single similar window. The east end has a tetrastyle prostyle portico with Greek Doric columns. The south side corresponds to the north. Interior. West end has a panelled wooden inner porch with a doorway to the south and steps leading to a gallery to the north, the exterior decorated with pilasters. At the east end is an ionic screen 5 steps up, with dentil cornice and central rectangular board flanked by single arched boards, all printed with biblical texts. There are several box pews. Panelled ceiling with egg and dart cornice and decorative ventilators to the east and west. The south wall has a monument to Joseph Denman, 1863, topped with a pediment decorated with an open book. Behind the screen is a doorway with panelled door leading to the mausoleum rotunda which has 3 bands. To the north, south, east and west are single round archways, these alternate with 4 similarly arched niches. The north nd south chambers have in the east and west walls a large arched shallow recess supported on imposts. The windows have moulded wooden eared architraves and the moulded arched entrances are supported on pilasters. There are dado rails. The ceilings are panelled. Both chambers now contain bell frames. The south chamber has a fine and elaborate mid C19 monument to the Dukes of Newcastle. The inscription is under a cusped ogee arch and is flanked by single crocketed pilasters which stand on a base embellished with decorative cusped panels and projecting on either side to support single figures of medieval pages. Under is a rectangular niche. On the south wall and mounted onto a wooden panel are 7 brass memorial plaques. The east archway from the rotunda is flanked on the east side by single pilasters supporting the moulded arch and leads to a passage way to the east entrance. In the south wall is a doorway with panelled door to the vestry, a similar doorway in the north wall gives access to steps leading down to a vault.
Wall and railings. 1832, by Sir Robert Smirke. Ashlar, yellow brick and iron. Low moulded ashlar wall surmounted by spiked iron railings one and three-quarters metres high with a similarly moulded ashlar block surmounted by an iron bracket occurring every 4 metres on the churchyard side. This extends for 65 metres south of the church, from west to east, having at either end single piers set on bases with moulded coping. The ashlar wall is broken to the west by a double gateway with single gateway to the right and screen to the left, all with similar iron railings. At the east end the wall turns at a right angle and extends north for a further 52 metres where it turns west, extends for 42 metres and terminates in a single similar pier. Completing the rectangle is an ashlar coped yellow brick wall.