For this church:
Originally there was plain glass in the large round-topped windows when the building was erected in 1855. When the Church of England took over in 1873 the intention was to replace them with stained glass. This scheme was never completed.
In June 1899 four new clerestory windows were dedicated. The first was given by J T Spalding, the second by E F Milthorp, the third by Freemasons attending the church, and the fourth by the rest of the congregation. It was hoped to replace the remaining six windows, so completing the scheme of illustration, typifying ‘the fruits of the spirit’. That this was never done seems apparent from a remark made by the Rev Charles Davis in March 1922. ‘Everything is harmonious, and we should have completed the task of filling in the windows with stained glass but for the threat to close the church down.’