For this church:
There is little evidence of archaeology at St James’. The date appearing on some lead in the Parsonage was 1797, thus dating the building of the main part of the farm.
When digging the foundations for one of the octagonal pillars in the arcade of the enlarged church, a workman found a copper coin of George III for the year 1807 some feet below the ground level of the old Barn.
In the Nottinghamshire Guardian on 28th July 1906 it was reported that an allotment owner on the Porchester Estate turned up some Roman coins and pottery fragments dating from the Roman occupation. There is no evidence that this was verified.