For this church:
Tuxford St Nicholas
Official Listing Description
The following are listed:
Parish church. C12, C13, C14, C15, clerestory 1473, chancel rebuilt c.1495 by Gunthorpe, chapel restored and widened C18, restored 1811, 1879 and 1893. Ashlar. Tower with spire, nave, aisles, north and south porches, north mortuary chapel, north vestry, south east rood turret and chancel. Single C20 stack to the east vestry. Embattled parapets to all but the chancel and vestry. Coped east chancel with single decorative ridge cross finial. Buttressed. Diagonally buttressed early C14 tower of 2 stages, set on a plinth with late C14 broached spire and 2 gargoyles to the south and north sides. West side has a worn chamfered arched doorway with double C18 wooden panelled door, traceried fanlight, hood mould and worn label stops. Above is a single arched and cusped light with hood mould and human head label stops. The 4 bell chamber openings each have a single larqe arched and cusped light with hood mould, Under, to the south side, is a single clock face. The west side has 3 rectangular stair lights. The spire has 4 lucarnes each consiting of a single arched and cusped light with hood mould and single cross finial. The west wall of the north aisle has a single restored C15 arched window with 3 arched and cusped lights, hood mould and label stops. To the right are quoins denoting an earlier build. The north wall with single gargoyle and remains of a further single gargoyle is, west of the porch, set on a plinth with band running over and has a single similar window and hood mould. The gabled porch with single crocketed finials at the angles and remains of a single ridge finial has a restored double chamfered arched entrance with hood mould and large label stops. There is an inner chamfered arched doorway. Set into the east wall is a C14 demi-effigy of a priest in quatrefoil surround and with worn sacramental emblems below. Left of the porch are 2 similr 3 light windows and hood moulds. Theclerestory has 2 gargoyles and 4 similar 3 light windows with continuous hood mould. To the left is the mortuary chapel of the White family. Set on a plinth with single C15 gargoyles to the east and west sides. The north wall has 2 windows each comprising 3 arched lights. To the left, in the vestry, is a single gargoyle and a single restored C15 window with 3 arched lights, panel tracery, hood mould and human head label stops. A continuous sill band runs under. The east vestry wall is set on a plinth with heavily moulded band over, this extends to the east and south chancel. There is a C19 moulded arched doorway with hood mould and human head label stops. Above is a single square light with lead lozenge glazing bars. The east chancel has a single arched window with 5 arched lights, panel tracery, hood mould, human head label stops and continuous sill band. The south chancel has 4 gargoyles and a continuous sill band broken by the buttresses. There are 4 C15 arched windows each with 3 arched lights, panel tracery, hood mould and remains of human head label stops. Under the second window from the left is a moulded arched doorway with incised decoration in the spandrel and C17 panelled door. The east wall of the south aisle has a single restored, arched window with 3 arched and cusped lights, hood mould and human head label stops. There is a continuous sill band which drops down at the left and continues around to the south wall, dropping down under the windows and terminating at the porch. The south wall with single gargoyle has 2 similar 3 light windows and hood moulds. To the left is the gabled porch which has single crocketed finials at the angles and single ridge cross and is set on a plinth. The single buttresses to the east and west accommodate single large rectangular niches with moulded surrounds. The right niche with a cross, the left with carved remains. Restored pointed arched entrance with remains of responds with fillets. Double wood and glass, traceried door. Inner moulded pointed arched doorway with panelled door inscribed "Ed Marshall Tho Pickering Church Wardens 1708" and continuous hood mould. the east and west walls each have single iron brackets. The bay to the left of the porch is set on a plinth and has a single C15 arched window with 3 arched and cusped lights, hood mould and label stops. In the west wall is a single similar restored window. To the left are quoins denoting an earlier build. Clerestory with single carved shields to 3 of the merlons, remains of 3 gargoyles and 4 arched windows each with 3 arched and cusped lights and continuous hood mould. Interior. 4 bay nave arcades with double chamfered arches. The C13 north arcade with round columns and responds and moulded capitals. The early C14 south arcade with octagonal columns, keeled responds and moulded capitals. To the nave sides are hood moulds each with 3 human head label stops. Tall narrow triple chamfered tower arch. C13 double chamfered chancel arch with hood mould, the inner chamfer supported on circular responds and moulded capitals. North chancel/north chapel late C13 2 bay arcade with double chamfered arches supported on octagonal column and responds with moulded capitals, now blocked by the organ and iron screen. North aisle/north chapel has a double chamfered arch and iron screen. North wall of the south aisle has some C12 herringbone masonry. In the chancel south wall is an ogee arched piscina and in the north wall a chamfered arched doorway to the vestry with C18 panelled door. In the south aisle, east wall, is a restored niche with cusped and sub cusped ogee arch over and crocketed finials containing a crude carved effigy of St. Lawrence. To the right is a human head carved corbel supporting the remains of a C14 seated figure and to the left leading to the rood stair is a small doorway with panelled door. In the south wall is an ogee arched piscina with hood mould. In the nave is a blocked rood loft opening in the north wall. There is an arched stoup next to the north door and to the right a human head corbel supporting a reset capital with arched niche over. In the east wall of the chapel is an arched piscina and in the south wall of the vestry the remains of an ogee arched niche now containing earlier C13 memorial decorated with a stylised cross. The C19 chancel roof is supported on corbels. The C15 nave roof is supported on grotesque head corbels and carved wooden angels, there are many decorative foliate bosses. Restored C15 chancel screen with elaborate tracery. Ashlar font dated 1662 with fine and elaborate conical cover and suspended from the roof a similarly fine and elaborate canopy dated 1673. Elaborately carved pulpit, c.1876. Base of a C17 altar table, early C19 altar table. C18 cupboard in vestry, probably converted from a pulpit. 4 low C17 tressels. 2 Cl7 chests, 2 chairs with elaborately carved backs, tower screen and remaining furnishings C20. South east aisle window with late C15 figure of St. Lawrence. In the chapel are 2 large hatchments. Monuments. On the south wall of the north aisle is a tablet to William and Ann Sellers, 1790 and on the north wall a damaged memorial to William Dobson, 1673, this has foliate decoration around the inscription and is topped with an angel's head under segmental arch. The south aisle has a monument to Margaret Bayston, 1753 by Ant. Ince, this is topped with a broken segmental arch with angel head. There is a further monument to Mary, Mary and Robert Allwood, 1811, this is surmounted by a broken pediment with urn. In the south chancel is a tablet to Walter Taylor, 1743. In the north chapel,set into the wall, is a good alabaster monument to Sir John and Dorothea White, 1625. Consisting of 2 recumbent figures of a gentleman and lady in Jacobean dress the former lying within the arched recess and the latter below and without. On the back wall within the recess are 2 black marble tablets plus inscriptions and the side walls are decorated with a helmet, sword and shield. Above the tablets are carved skulls, angel's head, etc. Flanking the recess are single Corinthian columns surmounted by finials. Topping the arch is the family crest. There is a further monument to Charles Lawrence White, 1814, consisting of a tablet supported on 2 decorative corbels and surmounted by a further tablet, the crown being decorated with a rustic cross, the trappings of battle and an eagle and topped with an urn. In an arched tomb recess is a recumbent C14 knight with crossed legs and feet resting on dogs. There is a further C14 recumbent alabaster figure of a lady with feet resting on dogs and a C14 floor slab with a shallow carved figure of a knight and heraldic shields. There are several C17 and C18 floor slabs.
Wall, gate piers and gates. Late C19. Ashlar, brick, some render, iron. Ashlar coped wall extending from east to west for 70 metres. Being broken at the east by a single pair of rendered brick piers with ashlar coping and single decorative iron gate. At the west the wall is broken by a single pair of ashlar piers with ashlar coping, similar double iron gates and iron overthrow with central lamp. Included for group value only.