For this church:
Monuments and Memorials
Two memorial stones are to be found in the chancel, on the left of the altar is an alabaster slab with incised cross and a border reading:
This memorial records the death of Adam Haket, in 1452.
On the right of the altar is a large black marble slab recording the death of the Revd Franciscus Porter, Oriel College, Oxford, MA Rector of Saundby and North Wheatley, who died in October 1678, and his wife, Margareta, who died in 1710. The inscription is in Latin. They are buried together in the nave of Saundby Church.
Attached to the north nave wall is the top portion of a Roman tombstone weighing about half a ton. There would originally have been the figure of the deceased standing in a shell-headed recess. The portion was discovered beneath the south eastern aspect of the church tower when the foundations were being prepared for the underpinning of the tower in 1928.
This is a brass memorial carrying a merchant’s mark and dedicated to Edmund Sheffield, citizen and vintner of London, 1445. The plate measures 24½" by 2½" and is attached to the west wall of the nave. It has the Vitners’ mark above. It was originally in West Burton Church but was moved when that church was pulled down. There is, however, no evidence of any connection between the Sheffield family and West Burton. By will dated 19 March 1444, proved 19 February 1445:
Edmund Sheffield citizen and vintner of London, desires to be buried in the church of All Hallows, Honey Lane, London, if he dies within the city, if not where God shall will.
From this inscription it may be presumed that he died in Nottinghamshire. There are connections with Barton and Stretton in the Clay. The inscription has been slightly damaged as part of the day of his death is now incomplete, as is the word ‘Amen.’ If complete, the inscription would read as follows:
On the reverse of the brass is an inscription that had been cut 13 years previously. It is possible that this brass was never used according to its original intention, and simply turned over and inecribed again when the memorial to Edmund Sheffield was required. This inscription on the back reads as follows:
This memorial is possibly to Joan one of the daughters and coheirs of Thomas de Nevill (brother to Ralph, first earl of Westmorland) Treasurer of England and in the right of his first wife Joane (the only daughter of William Lord Furnival), by whom he had a daughter Maud. He married secondly Ankaretta daughter of John le Strange of Blackmore (widow of Richard son of Gilbert Talbot and mother of the famous John Talbot by whom he had this daughter Joan, who married Sir Hugh Cokesey being his third wife.
This was moved from inside the ruined tower of St Helen’s Church, South Wheatley to prevent further damage through falling masonry, it is mounted on the west wall of the nave. The memorial is surmounted by a coat of arms, showing the marriage of Thomas Holder and Catherine Booth: ‘A Chevron between three anchors, impaling a shield with three boar’s heads’
A translation of the Latin inscription on the tablet is as follows:
The Booths were a family of some note they feature in the marriage register of St Helen’s Church, South Wheatley from 1547 when Robert Riley marries Ann Booth. Thomas Holder and Catherine Booth were married in St Helen’s Church, South Wheatley in 1625
In the aisle of the nave is a memorial to William Sherrat, his son Thurston and his wife Joane 1726 -1743, of Wheatley Wood Hall.
A brass memorial on the south nave wall also commemorates the same family: