For this church:
Sutton on Trent
Newark and Southwell Deanery
Domesday Book records a church and a priest in Sutton on Trent, although today there no traces of fabric earlier than the 13th century visible (although it is reputed that earlier foundations were found when the tower was repaired in 1902-3).
This large village church comprises a nave with north and south aisles, a south porch, chancel with large south chapel, and a substantial west tower. The core of the nave fabric dates from the 13th century, as does the entire tower. The aisle arcades and chancel arch are also of the 13th century. To the south of the chancel is the Meering Chapel, dated to c1525 and having rich and ornate panelled battlements and four-light windows. 15th century additions included fenestration and the addition of an impressive clerestory to the nave when the roof was heightened. Although it is stated that the tower was rebuilt in 1902-3, contemporary reports and archaeological study reveal it was only substantially repaired at that date.
Between the south aisle and the Meering Chapel is a rare survival of an intact rood screen and loft, complete with stairs. The design appears to be of the 1520-30s.
There are fragments of medieval glass in the chancel and the east window is by Wailes. In the chancel are a few poppyheaded bench ends, probably dating from the 15th century.
The tower contains a ring of eight bells dated to 1922 and 1931.
Local legend has it that the Meering Chapel was brought across the River Trent from the church at the now disappeared village of Meering, though there is no evidence of this.
This church is currently being researched, a full entry will appear in due course.