Attenborough St Mary

Official Listing Description

SK 53 SW




Attenborough (south west side)

Church of St. Mary the Virgin

Grade I

Parish church. C12, C13, C14, C15, C16, C18, C19, C20. Restored 1869. Re-roofed 1947-53, Vestries 1954. Repewed 1955. Dressed stone and ashlar. Ashlar dressings. Copper and plain tile roofs. Chamfered plinths and coped parapets. Crenellated rainwater heads dated 1869. West tower, vestries, nave, chancel, organ chamber, north and south aisles, south porch. West tower, C15, single stage, has 4 pairs of corner buttresses with linking top band. Crenellated parapet. Setback octagonal spire with weathercock. North and south sides have a single slit light. West side has cusped ogee headed triple lancet with panel tracery. Above, on each side, a cusped, transomed double lancet with mouchettes. Moulded reveals. Vestries, 1954, adjoining tower on 3 sides. Single storey. Plinth, flat roofs, coped parapet. North and south sides have each a recessed door flanked to right by a canted bay window. Chancel, C15, 3 bays, has chamfered plinth and eaves and coped parapet and to east 2 pairs of corner buttresses and coped gable, restored C20. North side has a single buttress. 2 cusped double lancets with panel tracery, chamfered square reveals. East end has cusped triple lancet with panel tracery and coved reveal. South side has 2 buttresses. Central Tudor arched priest’s door and above, 3 C16 cusped double lancets with panel tracery. Lean-to organ chamber, C19, has 2 buttresses and coped gables. To east, blocked square headed window. North aisle, 3 bays, has chamfered string course and eaves. 2 corner and single intermediate buttresses. North side has to west, chamfered and moulded re-set round headed doorway, blocked. Flanked by single C16 double lancets with square heads. To east, early C15 cusped double lancet with chamfered square headed reveal. East end has C15 triple lancet with panel tracery and four centred arched reveal. Nave clerestory, raised late C15, 4 bays, has coped gable with cross.On each side 4 round headed triple lancets with coved reveals. East gable has, above, late C15 triple lancet with hood mould. South aisle, C15, 4 bays, has 2 corner and single intermediate buttress. South side has 3 double lancets with cusped ogee heads, rebated and moulded reveals. East end has a similar triple lancet. South porch, rebuilt C18 in C15 style has partial plinth, chamfered eaves and coped gable with cross. South gable, restored 1981 has a pair of flanking buttresses, round headed doorway and C20 replica lamp. Interior has panelled ceiling. Inner doorway early C14, chamfered and rebated with hood mould and mask stops. Reset plank door with scrollwork hinges, C12. Galilee west window has fragment of C19 stained glass. Tower west door, C15, has double roll moulding and hood mould. Pair of 1. small flanking buttresses. West window has patterned stained glass. Tall tower arch has chamfered head and faceted imposts. Tower chamber has gallery, 1954, with latticed glazed screen above. Nave arcades, early C13, have westernmost bays bisected by tower. North arcade has round piers with moulded round bases and various foliate and angel capitals. Keeled and cove-moulded arches with nailhead hood moulds and mask stops. North side has 8 C13 mask corbels. South arcade has similar piers with square bases and re-cut leaf and beast mask capitals, mid C14. Similar arches to north side. East gable has stained glass window, 1908. North aisle has stained glass north windows, 1945, 1922 and east end war memorial stained glass window and brass, 1918. South aisle east end has to left, four centred arched opening to rood stair, and to right, small C13 piscina. 2 transverse moulded internal buttresses. Westernmost stained glass window by ‘P & Q’, 1960, with C15 fragments in head. Chancel has C15 chamfered arch with faceted conical imposts. North side has organ in fretted case. Sanctuary has C20 panelled dado and reredos. Stained glass east window, 1892, by Ward and Hughes. Flanked by single C14 angel corbels. South side has to east, restored C13 cusped piscina. Priest’s door flanked by single re-set C14 blank traceried bench ends with poppyheads. Fittings include plain C13 font with blind pointed arcading. Carved stalls incorporating early C17 carvings by C. G. Hare, 1928. Oak angel lectern, 1935. C19 oak pulpit. Memorials include painted alabaster tablet with apron, pilasters, pediment and strapwork to Francis Jaques and wife, 1606 and 1621. Painted wood memorial with columns and pediment, dated 1623, to Powtrell family. Pedimented Renaissance Revival style tablet with pilasters to John Mather and wife, 1625. Cll incised coffin lid. Classical style marble and slate tablets 1818, 1832, 1838, 1860. 2 hatchments. 4 C19 brasses and tablets. 5 C20 brasses and tablets. Charity board, mid C18. Royal Arms, George III. Painted notice referring to bell ringing, 1894