For this church:
Bawtry St Nicholas
Features and Fittings
The oak screens dividing the north vestry and south chapel from the chancel probably date from Hodgson Fowler's restoration. George Walker Milburn, a carver and sculptor from York, records in his work book carving 48 small patarae for the church over 1900-01. They were probably made for these screens.
The oak chancel screen, designed by the architect Hodgson Fowler, was installed in 1909 and is dedicated to the memory of Lazarus Threlfall Baines (1836-1905) who had lived for a time at Bawtry Hall. The inscription reads:
The wrought-iron screen to the chapel dates from the 18th century.
The red and gold altar front includes carved figures of St George, St Michael and Christ on the Cross with soldiers in uniforms of the First World War praying at his feet.
On the east wall of the north aisle is a 16th century painting depicting the flight of Joseph, Mary and baby Jesus into Egypt.