Beckingham All Saints
Features and Fittings
On the south wall there is a small 13th century piscina
To the west of the piscina is a 13th century triple detached-shaft sedilia with roll-moulded arches, leaf capitals, and leaf stops to hoodmould.
The litany desk is a memorial to those men of the village who served in the 1914-18 war. A brass plaque on the top of the desk reads:
IN THANKFUL REMEMBRANCE OF
THE COURAGE AND SELF-SACRIFICE
OF THE LOYAL SONS OF THIS PARISH OF BECKINGHAM
WHO TOOK PART IN THE GREAT WAR 1914-18
AND OF THE MANY PRAYERS AND THANKSGIVINGS
OFFERED HERE IN THOSE ANXIOUS DAYS
“HITHERTO HATH THE LORD HELPED US”
Three bays of an elaborate 15th century panel traceried screen were re-set in the tower archway during the 1891-2 restoration. They are probably fragments of a rood screen.
The font stands in front of the tower screen. It has an octagonal bowl above five polished marble shafts and was the gift of the family of the Rev David Hooke and his friends.
A plaque on the base reads:
THIS FONT WAS RESTORED
BY THE FAMILY OF
CANON FRANK LEVICK
1929 – 2008
WITH HAPPY MEMORIES OF
A DEAR HUSBAND AND FATHER
AND A FRIEND TO ALL
“AN INHERITOR OF THE KINGDOM OF HEAVEN”
1st DECEMBER 2009
There is a late 19th century panelled carved wooden pulpit. A plaque reads:
|To the Glory of God and in loving memory of Mary Ann, the beloved wife of Robert Sidwell, of this parish; entered into rest April 27th, 1891
There is a carved oak eagle lectern with a plaque on the base that reads:
To the Honour and Glory of
God, and in loving memory of
the departed Children of
Joseph and Mary Fotherby 1892
A damaged 13th century tub font is located at the west end of the north aisle. The interior is lead-lined.
In the south wall there is a piscina in a square chamfered reveal.