View of the church


All Saints

Newark Archdeaconry

Bassetlaw and Bawtry Deanery


All Saints’ Church is built mainly of ashlar stone, consisting today of a chancel, a nave, aisles, a south porch and an embattled tower with eight pinnacles containing three bells and a clock.

Although the first reference to a church here is from the early 12th century the oldest parts of the church date from the 13th century. The north and south arcades are both from this time and have octagonal piers with moulded capitals and double chamfered arches.

There are sedilia with deeply moulded arches. Of note are an early piscina and an aumbry. Part of the rood screen, c1500, is now under the tower arch.

The exterior is of the 15th century, when the clerestory was added, along with many Perpendicular windows. The gargoyles and grotesques are interesting.

Two stained glass windows are in memory of the Duckle family.

There were several restorations in the 19th century: the chancel (possibly by Ewan Christian) in 1876 and 'a very complete restoration' by John Dodsley Webster in 1891-2. More major work has been needed to the chancel and roof in recent years.

Particular thanks to Timothy Southall and Andy Nicholson for research on this entry
and to Geoff Buxton and Dr Chris Brooke for the photographs