Collingham St John the Baptist

Official Listing Description

SK 8261-8361





(south side)

Church of St.John the

Grade I

Parish Church, C12, C13, C14, C15. Restored 1864 by J. H. Hakewill. Tower restored 1886; further restoration 1890. Coursed blue lias rubble and ashlar with ashlar dressings and brick patching. Leaded, stone slab, slate and plain blue tile roofs. Nave, chancel, west tower, north and south aisles, south porch, large organ chamber. West tower, 3 stages, string courses and corbel table with crenellated parapet and 4 crocketed pinnacles. 3 clasping buttresses of 6 setoffs, changing to diagonal buttresses above first stage. N.W. corner only has plain buttress of 3 setoffs up to first stage. First stage has to west, C14 chamfered and rebated four centred arched window with label mould and mask stops, containing triple ogee headed lancet with panel tracery; to south single lancet in chamfered reveal, to north, 1890 polygonal stair turret with pitched slab roof and 3 rectangular lights with chamfered reveals. Second stage has, to west, single lancet in chamfered reveal in blocked C13 double lancet opening; to south C13 double lancet; to north, double recess with one lancet and one round headed opening; to east, clock. Third stage has 4 triple lancet bell openings with moulded mullions and transoms and Decorated tracery. North aisle C14, 4 bays, coped balustrade, 4 buttresses of 4 setoffs on plinths, off-centre C14 moulded doorway with label mould and mask stops, contain- ing C19 door flanked to east by 2 square headed chamfered and rebated openings with label moulds and mask stops, containing double ogee headed lancets with panel tracery, to west by a single similar window; beyond, C19 rectangular single light in chamfered reveal; C19 door in chamfered reveal on west end. Chancel, C14 and C15, 3 bays and coped gable, slate roof, has to north C19 gabled organ chamber with clasping buttress to east and plain buttress to west, and single light in chamfered reveal in gable; flanked by single C14 square headed chamfered and rebated openings containing double lancets with decorated tracery. East end has 2 clasping buttresses, 3 setoffs and plinth, C15 chamfered and rebated opening with label mould and mask stope, containing 5 ogee headed lancets with panel tracery and moulded mullion and transom. South side has off-centre C14 moulded priest's door flanked to west by C14 chamfered and rebated square headed opening containing double lancet with decorated tracery; beyond, similar opening containing quatrefoil headed double lancets with mullion and transom; to east C15 square chamfered and rebated square headed opening containing 4 plain lancets. South aisle, C14, 4 bays, 3 buttresses of 4 setoffs on plinths, has 2 C14 square headed chamfered and rebated openings with label moulds and mask stops containing triple lancets with Decorated tracery; to east C15 larger square headed chamfered and rebated opening containing 3 4-centred arched lights with mullion and transom. East end has C15 4 centred arched opening containing triple ogee headed lancets with moulded transom and panel tracery. C19 pointed arched doorway with chamfered reveal to west of south porch. Gabled south porch, C19, in C13 style; plinth, string course, corbel table, coped gable, has roll moulded doorway with keeled shaft responds and hoodmould with plain stops. C19 timber roof. South doorway, C14, 4 orders, major shafts keeled and with angular capitals, keeled roll moulding; label mould with mask stops; C19 door. Nave clerestorey; C15; 3 bays, moulded eaves, leaded roof, coped gable, has on either side 3 square headed chamfered and rebated openings con- taining triple plain lancets. Interior: 3 bay nave; north arcade, C12, 2 rectangular piers with engaged shaft responds and scallop and stiff leaf capitals, all with deeply moulded zigzag and coffered lozenges, roll moulded archivolts, chamfered and cusped label mould, single grotesque beast's head label stop. South arcade: C13: clustered piers of 8 shafts with principal shafts keeled; small, circular moulded capitals; label moulds with 2 mask stops. Clerestorey has 3 square headed triple lancets on either side. Kingpost roof, 1890, with arch braces to kingposts, cusped braces to principal rafters, cusped wind braces. Tower arch, C13, chamfered and rebated, clustered shaft responds with octagon capitals and shaft rings. North aisle has in east wall simple cusped headed piscina, memorial tablet, 1573; roof 1890. South aisle has in east end C14 cusped ogee headed piscina; east window with C19 stained glass by Ward & Hughes, C20 pews, C19 roof; 4 centred arched doorway in west end; C17 octagonal font on clustered shaft stem. Chancel arch C13, chamfered and rebated, with moulded respond capitals. Chancel north side has central chamfered archway to organ chamber, flanked by single C14 square headed double lancets, C14 ogee headed chamfered recess, probably an Easter Sepulchre. East window C15, glass C19. South side has small rectangular piscina, one double and one single memorials in crocketed nodding ogee surrounds, 1860s and 1870s; one quadruple and 2 double square headed lancets, and priest's door. C19 common rafter roof with diagonal matchboarding. Fittings include plain pews and pulpit, 1907-08, timber screen 1940, painted and gilt rood.