For this church:
Dunham on Trent St Oswald
The churchyard is approximately rectangular in shape but with curving east and west boundaries. It is quite large, measuring 0.65 ha in extent, with the church positioned towards the northern end. There are burials on all sides, the earliest, from the 18th century, are to the south.
The boundaries comprise: to the north a paling fence and access path through a stone gateway, to the east a hedge and mature trees, to the south part wall and part brick building (adjacent house), and to the west a mix of mature trees, hedges, walls, and fencing, with an access path through another stone gateway.The following are separately listed.
West Entrance Gate
Gateway. 12 metres west of the Church tower. Mid-19th century. Built of ashlar and iron. There is a central small double iron gate flanked by single engaged columns with possible 14th century foliate decorated capitals which support an ashlar overthrow with hood mould and central cross.
Extending for one and a half metres and sloping down from the columns are single ashlar walls which are set on plinths
North Entrance Gate
Gateway. 12 metres north of the church tower. Mid-19th century. Built of ashlar and iron. The central small iron gate flanked by single engaged columns with moulded capitals which support an ashlar overthrow with hood mould and central cross. The columns are attached to single small sloping ashlar walls.
Group of 3 head-stones in the churchyard of Church of St. Oswald, 18m south of the chancel. Grade II
These gravestones are situated 18 metres south of the chancel. Dated 1729, 1738 and 1731. Made from ashlar.
Arched, rectangular headstone inscribed:
To the right is a decorative arched rectangular headstone with decorative incised lines under the arch and inscribed:
2 metres to the right is the third arched rectangular headstone with inscription: