For this church:
Hoveringham St Michael
The single bell with a chiming hammer action is hung dead from a beam mounted in high in the pointed bellcote leading from the apex of the west gable. The present bell dates from 1961 and was recast from a previous bell dating from 1760. This earlier bell bore the inscription:
St Michael’s present bell is inscribed:
It has a circumference of 28½ inches (71.2 cm) and weighs 4cwt 1qr (217 kilos).
In the tower of the previous church there were reportedly three bells, and three bells were certainly present in 1740.