Hucknall St Mary Magdalene


Tower North arcade and
tower arch

The west tower is the oldest part of the church. The lower two stages have lancet windows and date from the late 12th or early 13th centuries; the top stage is ashlar-faced, has a crenellated parapet with 4 pinnacles, and is 14th century.

The 3-bay 13th century north arcade has tall octagonal columns, moulded capitals and double-chamfered arches; it was rebuilt in 1887. The early 13th century tower arch is double chamfered and rebated, and has half-round imposts with moulded capitals. 

Prior to 1872 the church consisted of tower, nave, north aisle, Lady Chapel and chancel. The interior contained 18th century high square pews and a gallery that extended across the west end of the nave and north aisle.

Church c.1874 showing
recently added south aisle
South porch

During the period 1872-4 Evans and Jolly oversaw the restoration and enlargement of the church. A south aisle was added, new roofs were provided for the nave, chancel and north aisle, the galleries were removed, and windows restored. The addition of a south aisle involved the dismantling and rebuilding of the porch further south of its original location. The south gable of the porch has jowled posts and arch braces, carrying a braced king post; the timbers date from the 14th century.

Major building work followed in 1887-8 when the Lady Chapel and chancel were demolished, so that large transepts could be inserted, and rebuilt further east re-using much of the original stone. The north and south transepts have each a moulded arch with shafts on angel corbels. A clerestory, with six 13th century style lancets, was also added to the nave. The south arcade of 1872-4 was rebuilt in 1887 and like the north arcade has octagonal piers and double chamfered rebated arches; there is an angel corbel at the east end of the arcade. The architect was R. C. Clarke.

The Lady Chapel was for a number of years used as an organ chamber and vestry but in 1919 the organ was removed to a loft in the north transept, and the chapel restored as a War Memorial Chapel. The organ has since been removed and replaced by an electronic organ.