Hucknall St Mary Magdalene

Official Listing Description

SK 54 NW





(west side)

Church of
St. Mary Magdalene

Grade II*

Parish church. C12, C13, C14, south aisle 1872 by Evans and Jolly; north and south transepts 1887 by R. C. Clarke; Lady Chapel restored, 1919; tower restored 1925. Coursed and squared rubble and ashlar. Plain tile, lead and copper roofs. Ashlar dressings. Chamfered plinths and string courses, moulded eaves, coped gables with crosses. West tower, nave with clerestory, north and south aisles, south porch, north and south transepts, Lady chapel, chancel. West tower, late C12, raised C14, 3 stages, has corner pilasters, coved eaves and crenellated parapet with 4 pinnacles. Remains of 2 gargoyles. North and south sides have each a buttress. First stage has to south, a lancet. To west, restored and partly blocked C13 triple lancet with hood mould. To its left, C20 gabled shed. Second stage has on each side a paired lancet, C13, with rounded mullion. Third stage has on each side, clock, 1884, and above it, louvred C14 double lancet with Y tracery. Nave clerestory has on each side 3 C13 style lancets with shafts, hood moulds and intermediate pilasters. East gable has traceried round window. North aisle west end has C15 style triple lancet with panel tracery. North side has 3 buttresses. Off-centre C13 blocked door, flanked to left by 2 and to right by single C15 style double lancets with panel tracery. South aisle, 5 bays, has 5 buttresses. West end has C15 style triple lancet with panel tracery. South side has porch flanked by 2 similar lancets. South porch, C14, rebuilt 1872, has south gable with jowled posts and arch braces, carrying braced king post. West side has small light. East side has mullioned opening. Interior has remains of stone benches and common rafter roof. Inner doorway C13 has C17 weather stripped C13 door with C18 furniture. Buttressed north and south transepts, 3 bays, have C14 style cusped lancets with Decorated tracery, hood moulds and stops. North transept has on each side 2 double lancets. North gable has central moulded door and above, 5 light lancet. South transept east side has 3 and south side has 2 double lancets. South gable has central moulded doorway and above, 5 light lancet. Lady Chapel, rebuilt 1888, 2 bays, has to north 2 buttresses and 2 double lancets, C14, with intersecting tracery. East end has a similar triple lancet and tablet, 1919, referring to redesignation as Memorial Chapel. Chancel, rebuilt 1887, 3 bays, has 2 pairs of gabled corner buttresses at east end, and datestone, 1887. Above, 5 light lancet with intersecting tracery. South side has off-centre blocked door, C14, flanked by a double and a triple lancet, with intersecting tracery. Tower arch, early C13, double chamfered and rebated, has half-round imposts with moulded capitals. Stained glass west window. Nave north and south arcades, 3 bays, rebuilt 1887, have each octagonal piers and double chamfered rebated arches. South arcade has angel corbel to east. Clerestory has C13 style lancets with shafts. Scissor braced roof. North and south aisles have moulded lean-to roofs with arch braces. North aisle west end has moulded door. North side has 2 late C19 mosaics and 2 stained glass windows. South aisle has at west end, Baptistry with moulded arch, with responds, wrought iron screen and panelled walls. South side has window with fragments of C15 glass. West end has C19 stained glass window. South aisle south side has stained glass windows, 1890 and late C19, and mosaic panel above south door. North and south transepts have each a moulded arch with shafts on angel corbels. That to north has mid C20 glazed wooden screen. Scissor braced roofs similar to nave. Most windows have stained glass by Kempe. Lady Chapel has inscribed traceried wooden screen. North side has 2 stained glass windows, 1919, by Gascoigne, and east end has a similar window. South side has re-set C13 piscina. To its right, 2 bay arcade with crested traceried memorial screen. Lean-to roof similar to aisles. Chancel has moulded arch with triple shaft imposts on corbels. Above it, traceried stained glass round window. North side has 2 bay arcade, C13, with octagonal pier and responds and chamfered arches. East end has panelling incorporating square aumbry and stained glass window, 1883. South side has C13 piscina and sedilia with C20 crest and surround. Above, 2 stained glass windows, 1888. Painted scissor braced roof with bracketed wall plate. Fittings include plain octagonal font, C14, brass eagle lectern, C19, and panelled square oak pulpit, 1906. 2 chests, C17 and C18. C18 oak table. C19 stalls and desks with scrolled ends. C19 benches. Memorials include large draped oval marble tablet with Arms and urn, to Richard, Lord Byron, 1679. Egyptian style marble and slate tablet and portrait medallion signed 'John Adams', 1824. Inlaid marble floor slab, 1881, and 3 marble wall tablets inscribed 'Opinions of eminent men of Byron,' all to George Gordon Noel Byron, the poet. C14 style wall tablet, 1852, to Augusta, and floor brass, 1822, to Allegra, daughters of the poet. Panel with Byron Arms on sill. Marble and slate wall tablets, 1777, 1805, 1821, 1861. Hatchment, C18. 3 C19 and C20 brasses. C14 style tablet, 1887, to those whose graves were disturbed in the rebuilding of 1887, by Thomas Fish. Large inlaid alabaster with war memorial in oak surround. Interior has 25 stained glass windows by Kempe, 1888-1895.