Holy Trinity


Originally the lancet windows, throughout the church, were plain glass, and most of them remain so.  


In 1904 the glass in the three lancet windows to the sanctuary was replaced by stained glass in memory of Robert Goodall Hanson who died in 1903, aged 59.

In the left-hand lancet window shows Mary supporting a crown of thorns, standing by the cross and at the bottom teaching the child Jesus.

The centre lancet window shows Christ crucified, with the walled city of Jerusalem in darkness at the foot of the cross. Below this are two saints holding a shield in red with the letters 'IHS' in gold. 

At the top of the right-hand lancet window is St. John holding a shield with three nails, centrally he is standing by the Cross, and at the base the picture shows Christ healing the blind man by the Sea of Galilee.

lancet window
Detail of left-
hand lancet
lancet window
Detail of centre
lancet window
lancet window
Detail of the
lancet window


Window on
the south wall
of the nave

Detail of south
nave window

On the south wall of the nave there is a stained glass window in memory of Captain Sydney Hanson, of the South Notts Hussars, who lost his life when the vessel ‘Leasowe Castle’ was torpedoed in May 1918.

This window depicts in the upper half Christ rescuing Peter from the sea; and in the lower, Christ walking on the sea.