View from SE


Holy Trinity

Nottingham Archdeaconry

Gedling Deanery


The church is not mentioned in Domesday. The present building comprises a west tower, aisleless nave with south porch, and chancel with modern north vestry. The north vestry occupies the site of a chantry chapel of c.AD 1340, evidence for this may be seen in the fabric.

The oldest visible feature is the tower arch which has Waterleaf capitals; these may be dated to the period AD 1170-1190. It is from this period that the first historical record of the church occurs, when from AD 1171, Lambley made an annual contribution to Southwell Minster.

Except for the lower stages of the tower and the north wall of the chancel, the church was rebuilt c.AD 1466-80 and rededicated in 1480, with funds provided for in the will of the former Lord Treasurer, Ralph de Cromwell. A new belfry was added to the west tower at this time. A rood screen and the site of the rood loft survive, dated 1377, with later loft stairs.

Lambley church is one of the most complete Perpendicular churches in Nottinghamshire, and it represents an exceptional survival of largely unaltered form from this period.

Particular thanks to Jean Nicholson for research on this entry