Lambley Holy Trinity

Official Listing Description

SK 64 NW




(south west side)

Church of Holy Trinity

Grade I

Parish Church. C11, C12, C13, C14; largely rebuilt c.1470 by Ralph Cromwell. Dressed stone with plain tile roofs. Chamfered plinths, moulded and chamfered eaves, moulded coped parapets. West tower, nave, chancel, vestry, south porch. West tower, 4 stages, C13 and C14, has stepped plinth, 3 string courses, coved eaves with 4 spouts, crenelated parapet. To west, 2 clasp buttresses. Second stage has to north, south and west, a small lancet. Third stage has to north and south, a round headed opening with hood mould. To east, doorway. To west, C13 triple lancet with hood mould. Fourth stage has 4 C14 cusped double lancets with hood moulds. Nave north side has to east, remains of adjoining building and 2 buttresses, 3 setoffs. 3 C15 triple lancets with panel tracery. To west, blocked C14 doorway. South side has 3 buttresses, 4 setoffs and 3 triple lancets. All openings have hood moulds. Chancel, 2 bays, has string course and coped gable with cross. North side has remains of adjoining building and to east, double lancet with intersecting tracery and segmental head. East end has traceried 5 light lancet flanked by single panels containing badge of Ralph Cromwell. Pair of diagonal buttresses, 4 setoffs. South side has 2 C15 triple lancets and off-centre priest’s door. All openings have hood moulds. Door has mask stops. Gabled vestry, late C20, has a door to west and a casement on each side. Restored south porch has coped gable and 2 flanking buttresses. Plain doorway with hood mould. Interior has stone benches, one made from incised alabaster tomb slab. Purlin roof of re-used timber. Restored roll moulded doorway with four centred arched head. Tower arch, C13 chamfered round head, with round responds and waterleaf capitals. Nave north side has to east, doorway and winder stair to former rood loft, with doorways above to pulpit and rood loft. South side has to east, C14 piscina and above it, doorway to rood loft. Low pitched roof. Archless chancel has screen, 1377, extensively restored 1966. North side has ogee headed C14 doorway and above it, chamfered squint. East end has C20 timber reredos and window with C15 stained glass. South side has four centred arched aumbry and C13 cusped piscina. Both south windows have C14 stained glass fragments. Fittings include font, early C19, with 4 baluster shaped shafts and octagonal stem, faceted octagonal bowl. Early C19 cover. Octagonal oak pulpit with sounding board, 1918. Early C17 altar rail with balusters. C20 stalls and desk incorporating C17 carved fragments. C18 oak chest. C19 lectern and benches. Memorials include incised alabaster slab, pedimented tablet, 1830, and panelled oak war memorial, 1918 and 1945.