View of the church from the north-east


All Saints

Newark Archdeaconry

Bassetlaw and Bawtry Deanery


A church is mentioned here in Domesday Book.

The present church is a stone building in Decorated and Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and a west tower with low broach spire and 3 bells. The aisles are divided from the nave by arcades of 3 bays. The best feature is the arch from the tower into the north aisle, triple-chamfered with a dogtooth label, c1200, and with heads as label stops.

The tower was rebuilt in the 1840s, using some original fabric; the spire was added at the same time. The north arcade and east window are Decorated, with some unusual tracery.

The font has a 13th century base and a bowl of 1660.

There are fragments of glass in the north window depicting a 15th century bishop. There are several memorial windows in stained glass, including one for Queen Victoria. However the most important window is that designed by John Piper and made by Patrick Reyntiens in 1966, showing the Five Wounds of Christ.

Particular thanks to Matthew Phillips, Chris Brooke and Andy Nicholson for research on this entry
and to Geoff Buxton and Chris Brooke for the photographs.