For this church:
Monuments and Memorials
The most striking monument is on the north wall of the north aisle. It depicts a figure of a man in Elizabethan dress – a doublet with padded sleeves, a white ruff around his neck and a long gown. He is kneeling before a desk on which there is an open book. The monument is canopied and has unfluted columns. The monument bears the coat of arms belonging to the Bevercotes family, who once lived in the nearby village of that name. It is known to be in memory of Samuel Bevercotes, son of Anthony Bevercotes of Ordsall. He was a barrister of some repute and was buried in September 1603.
The monument is of alabaster and the style is Dutch. It is likely to have been carved by one of the emigrant Dutch carvers who settled in England and were active in the 16th and 17th Centuries. Nicholas Stone was active between 1613 and 1647 and was based in London. The Hollemans were based in Burton and the Jansens (anglicised Johnson) in Southwark, London. As there is no mark on the monument it is difficult to identify the carver. The source of the alabaster is unclear, although it may be from the Fauld mine in Staffordshire.
The monument was moved from the nave to the ringing chamber in the tower at the time of the 1831 restoration where it remained for 100 years. It moved back to its present position in 1931. It may originally have been backed by a niche although there is no evidence of this and the hands are missing and one of the pillars is detached and in storage. The book has also recently been removed for safety reasons.
There is further evidence of alabaster in the surround of a mural in the south aisle to the memory of Henry Halfhide. He died at the age of 66 on 26 March 1689. The marble tablet details his wives and children. The date is too late for it to be from the Stone school, although it is probable that later carvers took on the Stone style. The alabaster used for this surround could also be from the Fauld mine. It is very finely carved and appears to have been fitted in small sections. Henry Halfhide was a patron and benefactor and gave land for charity.
There are several brass plaques either side of the Halfhide memorial of different shapes and sizes. All relate to burials from the 17th and 18th centuries.
To the left a rectangular plaque has a coat of arms and bears a Latin inscription relating to Johannes Pigot and his wife Elizabeth who died in 1727 and 1718 respectively. The inscription reads:
It can be translated as: 'John Pigot, M.A. One of the SIX preachers of the Cathedral and Metropolitan Church of Canterbury, Canon of Southwell, and Rector of this Church, died 21 August, 1727, aged 82. The ashes of Elizabeth, his wife, are deposited near. She died 4 January, 1718, aged 60.'
There is a further brass plaque just below, small and rectangular which reads:
There is no indication whether this relates to any of the other adjacent memorials.
To the right of the Halfhide memorial there is a shield-shaped brass plaque. It refers to the interment of Robert Coe of Ordsall who died on 23 March 1718. He was the grandson of Robert Coe who is commemorated nearby. It implies the plaque was placed where he was buried. There is evidence that the plaque was originally on the floor of the south aisle.
There is also evidence of removal from the south aisle floor of a larger rectangular brass plaque which is now below the shield relating to Elizabeth Coe, also implying that she was buried beneath. She was the widow of Stephen Coe who had 'fower' sons and 'fower' daughters and died on the 21 May 1653. The inscription reads:
The final brass plaque now placed below also once sat on the floor of the south aisle. The inscription is in Latin and relates to Stephen Coe:
The translation reads 'Here lies Stephen Coe, M.A., once Rector of this church, who gave back his soul to God, April 6th 1614. He was Rector 1589 to 1614 and had asked in his will to be buried "in the earth" at Ordsall Church.'
Immediately below the Halfhide memorial there is a far less grand stone tablet commemorating Halfhide’s eldest son who died in 1727 aged 68. The inscription reads:
A large marble mural to the left of the south porch is in memory of Mr Richard Brownlow of Thrumpton who died in 1706. His daughter is also commemorated on the tablet. The elaborate stone surround is headed by a coat of arms, and below is carved a skull with wings.
His grave marker lies on the floor inside the south porch, close to the font. The inscription head is towards the south, the inscription reads:
Immediately inside the south porch door there is a large black grave marker which faces the opposite way to the Brownlow memorials. This commemorates Simon Fowe (1788-1829):
There is evidence of three grave markers in the south aisle, the most easterly being that of John Johnson, (see the brass plaque above), the second is to that of his wife Catherine and the third is unfortunately too worn to read. John Johnson's grave marker reads:
On the west wall there is a tablet in memory of Walter Wharmby who died 26 January 1854 aged 22 years. His father was superintendent in her Majesty's Customs at Liverpool:
'Since the coming of the M.S. and L. railway to Retford, first Thrumpton, and then the Great Northern stations have stood side by side with the ancient Parish Church of Ordsall. Countless railwaymen have worshipped in the Church. On their way to the 'great terminus' their bodies have been buried in the hallowed acre just across the meadows from the main line. As a token of this close association, and as a memorial to railway servants who have passed on, Mr Alan Peglar and Gainsborough Railway Society of which he is President, have presented a miniature replica of the Atlantic 4433 locomotive, which in the L.N.E.R. days used to operate from Retford sheds. The commemorative silver plate is inscribed 'In memory of the Railwaymen of Retford since 1847'. It will stand on an oak shelf in the North East corner of the church.'
There are several memorials to the Mason family. The first Mason recorded as a vicar of the parish is Edmund in 1614. George Mason was vicar 1727 to 1743 and married Elizabeth the daughter of John Pigot, his predecessor. The memorials are to the later generations – sons and grandsons – William Mason 1747 to 1803, Jane, his wife, 1751 to 1825.
('Fedy' is how it is spelt on the memorial).
The Rev. George Mason M.A., second son of William and Jane who died in 1851 at Cuckney, where he is interred.
William Mason, their eldest son, who had lived in London but who is buried in Ordsall churchyard, lived from 1784 to 1856.
A memorial to Robert Moody also has the Mason connection through his wife Jane who was the daughter of George and Elizabeth Mason. Their son Robert who was vicar of Beckingham is also commemorated and predeceased his parents in 1837 aged 54.
The wooden board which records the incumbents is also attached to the north wall below the memorial to the Rev. George Mason.