For this church:
Nottingham South Deanery
St Matthias’ was built in 1867-68 on land off Carlton Road, at a time when the area was still rural, which is reflected in early pictures of the church. It was built to the designs of Hine and Evans and provided 300 sittings at a cost of some £3,000.
The building is of a pointed lancet style. The nave walls are blind, the roof structure starting low, canted and containing an unusual continuous clerestory of glazed quatrefoils set in a cast-iron strip, which flood the church with light. A bellcote contains a single bell for chiming.
The original untreated brickwork of the interior has been painted white. The roof is of an unusual design, with laminated wooden arch braces being supported by turned wooden arcade posts.
The church was home (prior to their removal) to an unusual set of Stations of the Cross and a number of statues, indicative of the Anglo Catholic style of churchmanship.
Although the church was saved from demolition during the 1960s, its congregation has declined in number over recent years to a point where it has been decided to declare it redundant under the Pastoral Measure. The building has been cleared of most of its fittings for safekeeping.
Particular thanks to Martin Cooper for research on this entry