Aslockton St Thomas

Official Listing Description

SK 74 SW




(east side)

Church of St Thomas

Grade II

Parish church. 1891. By Sir Reginald Blomfield. C13 style. Rockfaced ashlar and brick. Plain tile roofs. Chamfered string course, coped gables with crosses. Single side wall stack. Windows are chamfered lancets. Most have hood moulds with stops. Nave with bell turret, chancel, vestry, south porch, south aisle, south transept, organ chamber. Buttressed nave, 3 bays, has at west end a pair of central lancets with plate tracery, flanked by single plain lancets. Above, corbelled bracket carrying cross gabled bell turret with finial and cross. Chamfered pointed bell opening. North side has central triple lancet flanked by a double lancet each side, with quatrefoil heads. Buttressed chancel, 2 bays, has to north a lean-to vestry, with, to west, door with hood mould. To east, a plain lancet. North side has to west, 2 plain lancets. Chancel east end has double string course and eaves band. Dedication tablet inscribed "To the Glory of God and in loving memory of Thomas Kenrick Hall, late vicar of Whatton. This church is built AD 1891". 3 stepped lancets with linked hood mould. South side has 2 plain lancets with linked hood moulds. South porch has battered plinth walls and timber framed superstructure with billeted bressumer,four centred arched doorway, deep hood on brackets, and bargeboards. In each side, 2 leaded lights with four centred arched heads. Common rafter roof with collars. Inner doorcase chamfered and rebated. Buttressed south aisle, 4 bays, has at west end, a double lancet. To right of south porch, 3 plain lancets. Buttressed south transept has 2 lancets with plate tracery. Lean-to organ chamber, to right, has 2 lancets to south and 2 to east. Nave south arcade, 3 bays, has 2 round ashlar piers with square chamfered plinths, moulded round bases and octagonal capitals. Chamfered and rebated brick arches. Nave and aisle have moulded sill band. Roof has strutted queen posts with drop finials, jowled double tie beams, arch braces and collars. North side has to east, window with stained glass signed "P and Q 1956". South aisle has rebated pointed arch at east end. Arch braced lean-to roof with tie beams. Chancel arch, chamfered and rebated, has chamfered and moulded square imposts, hood mould and stops. Chancel has moulded sill band and windows with hood moulds and stops. Matchboarded roof with corbelled eaves and arch braces. North side has arched opening to vestry. East end has panelled timber reredos, 1955. Triple window with ringed shafts and carved spandrels. South side has to east, double window recess containing corbelled foliate piscina and moulded stone seat. To its right, arched opening to organ chamber. Vestry and organ chamber have roofs similar to south aisle. Fittings include ashlarand marble font with water-holding base, stem with 4 flanking shafts, square bowl with relief carving of net and fish. Cross to east. Iron bound wooden cover. Octagonal oak pulpit with trefoil headed open panels, cross foot and steps with braced handrail. Cross foot lectern with round stem. Panelled oak stalls and desks with fretwork panels. Linked chairs. Wooden altar rail on elaborate scrolled iron stands. Elaborate Gothic organ case. 5 ornate wrought iron pendant lamps. 2 similar lamps on brackets. Iron bound poor box. Memorials include wooden panel War Memorial, 1954. 2 C20 moulded wood tablets. C19 brass relating to Marriott Charity.