For this church:
Monuments and Memorials
Prior to the demolition of the nave and chancel c1861 the church monuments were moved into the base of the tower. Here they remained until 1916 when the Rev W.M. Browned and local landowner, Major E.F. Holden, removed them to the new church.
A handful of monuments remain in the tower.
Fellows (1917) provides a description of the monument as it appeared in the early years of the 20th century:
'The mural tablet to Henry Hanley, in the tower of the old church at Bramcote, consists of an oblong carved alabaster frame, containing two slabs of the same material; on either side are the kneeling figures, facing outwards, of a man and a woman in Jacobean costume. The upper slab is badly cracked, but a heel-ball rubbing has revealed the wording on this portion, as follows:
Impietie yt weere [when] men be
beneath is :
"A monument erected for Henrie Handley, gent., a man greatlie | beloved for his vertues and Elizabeth his wief doughter of | Thomas Braye of Sheffield in the county of York, gent. : by | whome he had Issue a sone and a daughter named Henrie | and Alice yett livinge, wch Elizeabeth deptd this life the | xx daie of februarye anno dmi 1596 and the said | Henrie the father deptd this [life] xij daie of November | ao dni 1603 and they both lye buried in this | Churche of Bramcote in the east end of the | southe alley over agaynste this monyment | upon whose soules God have mercie this | monument beinge erected by his executors for remembrance [to] his posteritee."
Carved fragments, apparently part of the lower portion of this monument, though detached, are still preserved and seem to have been used for a similar purpose previously, as they show on the back odd words referring to someone who had ten children, amongst whom were an Anthony and a Thomas, the date being 1602; but no surname has survived to satisfy present day curiosity.
Here lyeth . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
An oval plaque to John Lilley who died 1786:
A badly worn incised alabaster slab set in the tower floor. It depicts a man and woman of late medieval or early 16th century appearance. Vestiges of a marginal inscription can be seen but the text is illegible.
There are also several worn slate floorstones: