For this church:
Broughton Sulney St Luke
Features and Fittings
The communion table is of light oak, and appears to be of a post-war date. It bears the inscription:
It lacks consecration marks.
There is a small credence table.
The bishop’s chair (19th century) and prayer desk have been removed to the chancel to give space for the altar to be moved out from the east wall.
The altar rail is 20th century.
There is a plaque below the monument to Lucinda Burrill commemorating a benefaction to the parish by a Mrs Marston of London c.1842. Nothing is known of this benefaction or Mrs Marston’s connection with the parish. The text states:
There are four choir stalls with thick oak seats and ends, but pine backs have been added at a later date, probably in 1879. Two of these stalls have been moved to the choir vestry to provide more space in the chancel.
The organ console lies in an archway cut into the north wall of the chancel, with the bulk of the instrument being within the rector’s vestry behind. It was moved there from the north aisle in 1964. Initially it was placed entirely within the vestry, but later moved forward when it was realised that the organist could not hear what the congregation was doing from its original position.
There is a two-sided lectern of 1880 with an inscription that reads:
The pulpit has four wooden traceried panels and rests on a stone base. It was donated by Mrs J M Swain of Long Clawson in memory of her aunt, the late Mrs A Brown of Broughton, and installed durinig the church restoration of 1880.
The font, located at the west end of the north aisle, is 15th century, octagonal, with carving representing rectilinear window tracery filling each panel.
A quilt, made by village people in 1981 has been hung from the roof in the rear of the nave, for want of anywhere else in the village big enough to accommodate it. There are panels reflecting village events for each month in the year, including the birth of twins in January, after a long period of there being no children born to village families.
There is a benefactions board, dating from 1846, affixed to the west wall of the nave. It includes a benefaction by ‘Brett at the Corner’. He lived at Corner House Farm. Because many of the Bretts had the same Christian name they tended to be known by their place of residence.