For this church:
Grove St Helen
Official Listing Description
The following are listed:
Parish church. 1882. By Hodgson Fowler. C14 Decorated style. Ashlar with ashlar dressings and plain tile roofs. Chamfered and moulded plinth, moulded sill band, chamfered eaves, coped gables with gabled kneelers and crosses. All windows have hood moulds. West tower and spire, nave, chancel, organ chamber, vestry, south porch. West tower, 3 stages, has 2 string courses, eaves band, 8 gargoyles, 4 crocketed pinnacles, crenellated parapet. To west, pair of diagonal buttresses, 5 setoffs; to east, pair of corner buttresses, 3 setoffs. Setback octagonal spire with 2 tiers of gabled lucarnes and finial. South side has to east, canted stair turret with finial and 3 stair lights. Above, central clock in surround inscribed 'Watch and Pray'. West side has ogee headed triple lancet. Above, small single lancet. North side has a similar lancet. Third stage has 4 cusped head Decorated double lancet bell openings with coved reveals. Nave, 3 hays, has to south a double ogee headed lancet, and to its right a triple lancet in early C14 style. Moulded south doorway with traceried panelled door. North side has 3 double lancets. Chancel, 2 bays, has buttressed east end with 2 small lights to crypt in chamfered reveals,and above, triple lancet with moulded mullions and flowing tracery, and at its foot, traceried panels. South side has 2 depressed ogee headed lancets. Organ chamber has hipped roof with finial. To west, hipped lean-to porch with shouldered doorway, and to north, double lancet in coved and rebated square headed reveal. Lean-to vestry to east, has single coped gable and double side wall stack. To north, chamfered doorway under relieving arch. To east, leaded light in chamfered reveal and above, double lancet and above again, shield inscribed '1882'. South porch, single bay, has lintel band and string course, double cyma moulded and rebated doorway, and above, niche with nodding ogee canopy, containing figure with cross. Interior has stone benches and principal rafter roof. Tower arch, double cusped and rebated with coved hood mould and octagonal responds with crenellated capitals and moulded bases. Vaulted tower chamber has central round opening. Doorway to west with hood mould, and window with stained glass 1882. Nave has sill band and panelled dado. Cusped timber screen at west end with stained glass panels. King post roof with moulded tie beam and arch braces to collars. Curved wind braces. Cusped fillets. Ashlar pieces. Chancel arch, double roll moulded and rebated has filleted responds with moulded caps and bases. Hood mould with foliate stops. Chancel has to north chamfered and rebated organ opening and to east, doorway with traceried panelled door. East end has traceried and crested timber panellinq and matching reredos, and sill band, gradine with foliate basses, and C19 stained glass. South side has stained glass, C19. Wagon vaulted panelled timber roof with moulded timbers and crenellated wall plate. Vestry has panelled lean-to roof and fitted vestment cupboards. Fittings comprise octagonal font with foliate panels and octagonal foliate base and panelled stem, canted timber pulpit with traceried panels and panelled timber lectern on square stem. Scroll ended softwood benches. 2 traceried panelled clergy desks. Tower chamber has alabaster slab to Hugh Hercy, 1455, and to Elizabeth Hercy, 1450, re-sited 1882 and re-cut 1932. Incised slab with cross, C15. 2 C19 and single C20 brasses.
Lych gate and boundary wall. Late C19. Snecked dressed stone with chamfered ashlar coping, timber frame and hipped pantile roof. Lych gate has 3 square timber posts each side, the outer posts inclined, forming panels with depressed ogee heads. Pair of oak gates with inclined pales. Boundary wall to Main Street and to north of churchyard has ramped coping and is curved and shouldered at lych gate. 3 square piers with chamfered bases and pyramidal caps. Approx. 150 M long. Included for group value only.