For this church:
St Michael the Archangel
Newark and Southwell Deanery
There is no mention of a church in the Domesday survey. The earliest fabric dates from the late C12th, namely the chancel arch and (modified) north chancel doorway.
The present building consists of a west tower (lower portions) and nave of the 13th Century, a chancel of the 12th to 14th Century, the upper portions of the tower of (probably) the 16th Century, and a south aisle and north porch of 1883-4. The south nave arcade is of the 13th Century indicating the former existence of a medieval aisle.
Halam has traditionally been a chapel-of-ease to Southwell Minster, but is now classed as a parish in its own right. Between 1975 and 2007 it was once again served by priests from Southwell Minster but since that date has had its own priest-in-charge.
Particular thanks to Margaret Brooke for research on this entry