For this church:
Features and Fittings
Made of oak it was described as 'massive' in the 1888 terrier. There is no sign of the retable also mentioned. The altar has curtains on three rods along its length: each rod having a brass fleur de lys at either end. The altar was installed after the 1878 restoration.
Behind the altar and running the length of it probably the shelf supporting a retable (such is referred to in the 1888 terrier) or an earlier reredos.
Made of brass with ornamentation it stands on the altar at services. A commemoration engraved on it reads:
Made also of brass it is on the altar during services. It has an engraved commemoration which reads:
With ogee head (matching that of the north doorway) it is in the north wall of the sanctuary. It has no door but was possibly an aumbry or almery although rather narrow, or perhaps for a statue.
In the south wall of the sanctuary is what appears to be a piscina which has a lower and wider ogee arch than the north wall recess. In the 1888 terrier it is described as a credence and indeed has a stone shelf protruding from the niche. This modification may have occurred during the 1847 restoration of the chancel or earlier.
There is a blocked door in the an ogee head in the north wall of the sanctuary.
A slightly arched door, which is not blocked, in the south wall of the sanctuary. Externally it has an ogee arch; evidently a priest's doorway.
On the south wall of the sanctuary there is a plaque that reads:
On the north wall of the sanctuary there is a plaque that reads:
They stand on four wrought iron legs (two each side) with a decorative feature in the centre. The opening left in the middle by the absence of a gate has been overcome by a sliding rail which crosses the centre and closes the gap. This was presented by Mrs Crookes, the present churchwarden, in memory of her parents. It bears a brass plate:
They are high-backed along north and south sides of the chancel being one row only on either side with a long reading bench each.
Formerly used on the lectern which is in memory of Dorothy Needham (d. 1976) who was headmistress of the village school from 1925-58.
It runs along the entire north wall reaching up to the base of the windows.
Of the 'wrap round' kind and made of pine, it is at the north east end of the nave on a base with two steps leading up. The base is possibly much older than the present pulpit.
Made of brass it stands at the entrance to the chancel on the south side and is approximately 5’ high. It bears an inscription:
At the rear of the church on the south side of the nave and close to the vestry screen, it stands on a large stone base surmounted by a smaller plinth. This is covered by a marble-like surface. It is tub shaped with a cross carved on the bowl and clearly of 19th-century date. The cover is of oak. This is from the 1878 restoration.
In the 1864 terrier ‘a font lined with lead and its bason’ (sic) is mentioned but unfortunately no conclusive evidence is given of its type to help us identify if it was the original from the earliest days of the church.
Made of wood and with folding kneeler it stands towards the back of the nave aisle. It bears a small brass commemoration plate affixed to the south side which reads:
Enclosed by a screen at the west end of the nave and used as a vestry. The screen was erected in 1928 to commemorate the Rev. Hammond Robertson Bailey. A brass plate reads:
This is a wooden table kept prepared for service. It is backed by curtains along its eastern length with two curtains on short rods flanking the altar on either side. The rods have small candle-holders on the ends.
Made of brass it has an engraved commemoration which reads:
Made of wood and approximately 4’ high. On it there is a brass plate with an inscription in Gothic script:
The Rev H. Ives-Bailey and several of his family lie buried in the churchyard. In 1835 he wrote 'The Liturgy Compared With The Bible,' copies of which are still for sale in antiquarian bookshops. He was vicar of this parish from 1844-70.
Only the remains with no bowl or drainage.
On the east wall and meant for a statue, but now empty.
Along the perimeter of the east wall and for a short length of the south wall are terracotta plain and black diamond tiles visible which may be part of the earlier flooring. They are similar to the flooring tiles in the porch.