For this church:
Norwell St Laurence
The present organ was installed and dedicated in June 1974 replacing an existing organ. The console is on the south side of the chancel and the pipes above the tower arch on the west wall of the nave.
The organ was designed and built around 1900 by Cousans of Lincoln. For more than half a century it was in Bardney Methodist Church. It was obtained from Bardney by Cousans and then bought from them in 1973 by Evelyn Marston, churchwarden of Norwell, for £3,800, as a memorial to his sister, Hilda, who was at one time organist in Norwell.
It is a two-manual pipe organ with 9 speaking stops, subsequently enlarged by the addition of 3 stops. In 1973 it was restored and electrified by Cousans and three new stops were added.
This took place on 18 June 1974. The organ was dedicated by the Bishop of Sherwood, the Right Revd KG Thompson assisted by the Archdeacon of Newark, the Ven BW Woodhams. The vicar was the Revd Canon HA Kirton. At the service the organ was played by Kenneth Beard, Rector Chori and Organist of Southwell Minster.
In 1906 the Ecclesiastical Commissioners were asked for permission to put an organ in the chancel, or alternatively at the east end of the south aisle. Permission was not granted on the grounds that it would obscure the view of the altar. Provisional permission for it to be put in the chancel was finally given in 1907.
In 1973 one of the reasons given for removing the existing organ was its size.
‘Its appearance in the chancel, where it blocks the view of the altar, regularly shocks visitors’, also ‘... it is little exaggeration to say that the existing organ takes up about a third of the width [of the chancel]’.
This organ was removed at the end of 1973.