Sherwood St Martin


Archival Sources

Nottinghamshire County Archives Office

PR 19711/1   Map showing the parish boundaries before the establishment of St Martin’s
PR 4857   Draft to lay before Your Majesty in Council for a separate District of St Martin’s 
PR 4858   Letter from the Ecclesiastical Commission to the Vicar of St John’s Carrington redraft of scheme for the new District of St Martin’s Sherwood. 18th Aug 1936 
PR 4859   Letter to confirm that the deed for land in the new Parish of St John’s Carrington was sealed by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. 3rd Sept 1936 
PR 4974   Conveyance of land on Trevose Gardens, Sherwood, for new church. With plan. 1st Aug 1936 
PR 4855   The London Gazette 13th Nov 1936 with Order of His Majesty in Council constituting the District of St Martin Sherwood, and assigning its patronage to the See of Southwell

Local Studies Library, Nottingham

From the opening of the Church Hall in 1927 to the consecration of the new church in 1937:

Nottingham Evening Post 12th November 1927. Hall to be temporary church. With photograph

Nottingham Guardian 28th August 1935. Architect’s drawing of projected church, with caption

Nottingham Guardian 16th December 1935. Laying of foundation stone for St Martin’s

Church of England Records Office, Bermondsey

File NB 38/181   Refs. to conveyance, income, population, area, parsonage, incumbents

Published Sources

Southwell Diocesan Magazine, Vol.9 (New Series) Feb 1936 No 2

Southwell Diocesan Magazine, Vol.10 (New Series) Jan 1937 No 1

Kathleen Reddish, St. Martin ‘s Church Sherwood: A Jubilee History (1987)