For this church:
Wollaton Park St Mary
The building comprises an aisleless nave and chancel under a single, barrel-vaulted roof, with north and south porches at the west end, and a diminutive vestry on the north side towards the east end and corresponding structure on the south.
Material is almost universally brick with a few dressings in stone.
The date of the entire construction is 1937-9 and the overall design was by T Cecil Howitt, Architect. The contractor for whole scheme was H Butler Builder of Church Street Lenton. The sub-contractors were:
Church furniture - Wippell & Co
The internal wagon roof comprises ribbed barrel vaulting with a ceiling having 7 ribs with squared panels between and 11 panels within each arch, 3 panels between each rib. The whole is painted in geometrical designs.
Timbers and roofs
There is no bellframe, and no bells
Excavations and potential for survival of below-ground archaeology
There have been no known archaeological excavations.
The fabric dates entirely from 1937-9. The previous use for the site was parkland as part of Wollaton Park, with no buildings evident back as far as 1884.
The churchyard is rectangular, with the church positioned towards the west end. There are no burials.
The overall potential for the survival of below-ground archaeology in the churchyard, is considered to be LOW, dating entirely from 1937-9 and later. The potential for pre-church archaeological deposits is UNKNOWN. Below the present interior floors of the church it is considered to be LOW. The standing fabric of the church is all 1937-9 and the potential for archaeology in the standing fabric of the inter-War period is considered to be VERY HIGH.
Exterior: No burials. C20th car park to north and west. Landscaping. pre-church archaeology unknown.
Interior: Stratigraphy under the church is likely to be all 1937-9 construction evidence.