For this church:
Barton-in-Fabis St George
The churchyard covers an area of 0.4 ha. The church is situated in the centre and there are burials on all sides. There are several mature trees. Seven new trees were planted by the farmers of Barton to celebrate Queen Elizabeth II’s Silver Jubilee in 1977.
The southern and eastern boundaries of the churchyard are defined by stone walls; on the west and north hedges mark the boundaries. The main gate is on the east, on Manor Road.
The lamp above the main gate was erected at the time of the coronation of King George V. A brass plaque on the south side of the gate reads:
A plaque on the north side states:
Nottinghamshire Family History Society recorded most of the gravemarkers in 1979; many of these are now lost or partially obscured in the grass; the earliest at that time was dated 1702.
Of some interest are:
The tomb of the Revd Fitzgerald Wintour, Rector of the church from 1829-63, is in the churchyard.