For this church:
Basford St Aidan
Features and Fittings
Altar and Cross
There is a modern metal cross mounted on the east wall above the main altar.
Light oak, Gothic fretwork, hexagonal, height 3 ft 9 ins x 4 ft across. Originally, in 1923, it stood in the north east corner of the choir, on a stem which was removed in 1966, when the pulpit was moved to the south west corner of the choir.
The pulpit was given as a War Memorial following the First World War.
Installed on the east wall behind the altar in 1948 but moved to the Side Chapel in 1966. Dedicated as a Second World War Memorial in dark oak.
Wrought iron gates were brought here from Basford Hospital when it closed, and were fashioned into a screen by Cyril Blades of Hickling Pastures. They were dedicated on March 25th 1967 by the Bishop of Southwell.
Made of light oak by a friend of Father Crowie (then St Aidan’s vicar) and put up in 1976. It is fixed mid-way along on the north wall.
In the north east corner of the Side Chapel, mounted on the wall, is a brass sanctuary lamp, given in 2003 in memory of Phyllis Barnett, a life-long member of the church.
The present font is portable, and is 3 ft high x 1 ft 3 ins square at the top. The stand is made of light alloy and the top is light oak with a chrome steel bowl. It was presented by Mrs. Clifton in December 1972 and bears a small plaque with the words: ‘To the Glory of God and in memory of Reginald Clifton, Churchwarden 1943-57'.
The original font was hexagonal and plain, of light coloured stone, standing in the north west corner of the north aisle. It was due to be removed in the re-ordering of the 1960's but was reprieved until the present one could be finished in 1972. Eberlin & Partners, architects, produced drawings for a rather ornate font in the re-construction, but it was rejected due to cost and being out of keeping with the simplicity of the finished church. A plan to construct a font from the base of the pulpit in 1967 never materialised either.
Solid light oak, 4 ft 10 ins high, square base, IHS on the front. A small metal plaque near the base reads:
There are two sanctuary desks, both 3ft 3ins high, light oak, with kneeling boards. One bears brass plaque:
These sanctuary desks apparently came from St Augustine’s, Basford after it closed.
There is another desk in light oak, 3ft high x ft 1½ins x 1ft 6ins, bearing a small metal plaque:
One carries a light metal plaque: