Basford St Aidan


Archival Sources

Nottinghamshire archives

PR 19,210   Terrier 1937
PR 19,211   The London Gazette Oct. 1910 : Assignment of District Chapelry
PR 19,226   PCC Minute Book 1905 - 1923
PR 19,227   PCC Minute Book 1924 - 1966
PR 19,228/2   Letter from Southwell Diocesan Board of Finance 2/4/1962

Southwell Diocesan Magazine

DR 1/1/12/14/18    Opening of the new church, 1905
DR 1/1/12/14/43   History of church, picture of chancel, Dedication of Book of Remembrance, 1930
DR 1/1/1/5/5894   Faculty for the Hutchinson window, April 1935
DR 1/1/1/5/6715   Faculty for reredos as War Memorial, Oct. 1947
DR 1/1/1/6/8771   Faculty for alterations and improvements, May 1966

Nottingham Evening News, 7 May 1903. Laying of foundation stone

Nottingham Journal, 23 Nov. 1923. New pulpit dedicated as a War Memorial.

Bulwell Dispatch, 18 Feb. 1966. Original cost, and sum invested. Proposals to complete church building.

Nottingham Evening Post, 28 Jan. 1967. Renovations of St Aidan’s. Exhibition by Witold Kawalec.

Nottingham Evening Post, 7 Aug. 1978. Rev. H. J. Crowie leaves St Aidan’s.

Nottingham Evening Post, 3 Feb. 2004. Witold Kawalec, sculptor of Ten Messengers in St Aidan’s, dies.

Kept in the vestry

St Aidan’s Church Magazines

St Aidan’s PCC Minute Book 1966 - 1980

St Aidan’s photograph and memorabilia album

St Aidan’s photograph album

Published Sources

G. Dawson, The Church Bells of Nottinghamshire, Part One, (1994)

Witold Kawalec and Harry Kemp, Ten Messengers being carvings for St. Aidan’s Church, Nottingham (1977)

Eberlin & Partners, architects, Specification of alterations to St Aidan’s, 1966

Inclusive Design Ltd., architects, drawings of St Aidan’s, 2001

Kelly’s Directory of Nottinghamshire, 1922

NADFAS, Stained Glass Marks and Monograms (2002)