Basford St Leodegarius


Archival Sources

Nottinghamshire Archives:

PR 5962/1   Terrier 1743
PR 5962/2   Terrier 1777
PR 5962/3   Terrier 1786
PR 5963   Church Restoration Committee Minutes 1858-60.
PR 19279   Letter of April 1782 re the intended Inclosure of Basford.
PR 19280/1   Faculty, April 1905, for stained glass window in memory of Rev.H.R.Pitman and a memorial tablet for his daughter Janetta R.A.Pitman.
PR 19280/2   Faculty, July 1911, for stained glass window in memory of Charles James Fox.
PR 19280/3   Faculty, Aug. 1925, for memorial tablet for Elizabeth Brumell Pitman.
PR 19280/4   Faculty, March 1932, to sell portion of graveyard for £15 to Nottm. Corporation.
PR 19280/5     Faculty, May 1940, for electric organ blower and 2 brass candlesticks.
PR 19285/1-3   Bill, April 1921, for bells from John Taylor & Co. Bellfounders, Loughborough.
PR 19287   Vestry Minutes 1904-41.
PR 27297   Vestry Minutes 1767-1845, inc. details of church repairs 1818-33.

Lincolnshire Archives:

NRL Bundle 28/36   Petition, Jan.1864, by Rev.H.R.Pitman that his house be deemed a legal house of residence.
Also letter, March 1864, re. the iniquity of paying for a House Licence.
COR. B7/1   Letters re land purchased from Duke of Newcastle in April 1842 for a cemetery for Basford.
Consec 280/4   Conveyance of land, Nov. 1874, on Nottingham Road to Basford for Burial Ground, by W. E. Gladstone et al.

C of E Record Centre Bermondsey:

66270   Letter, March 1885, from Rev. H.R.Pitman re proposed purchase of Basford Glebe.
Articles of Agreement, March 1907; Rev.E.M.Vaughan to pay St Mary’s Nottingham £2000 for buildings and land in the All Saints area of the city

Lambeth Palace Library:

ICBS 21   Application and letters re grant from the ICBS for new seats, gallery, repairs etc. July 1818 - Nov. 1819.
ICBS 5154   Application and letters re grant for re-seating, repairs and re-building the tower. June 1857-July 1860.

Borthwick Institute York:

Archiepiscopal Registers,
W.Wickwaine 1279-8 Vol.3.
  Confirmation of Archbishop Gray’s appropriation of Basford Church to Catesby Priory, Jan.1245/6.
Court Book V 1748-9   Mrs Theaker charged with not teaching correct catechism at school.

Flintshire Record Office:

Sir Stephen Glynne’s Notebooks, Vol 34, f.18   Description of St Leodegarius, 19 Feb.1868

Published Sources

H. Gill, 'St. Leodegarius Basford', Transactions of the Thoroton Society, Vol 20, 1916.

K. Train, 'Vicars of Basford', Transactions of the Thoroton Society, Vol 52, 1948.

R.A. Marchant, 'The Restoration of Nottinghamshire Churches 1635-40', Transactions of the Thoroton Society, Vol 64 , 1961.

S. Jeavons, 'Church Plate of Nottinghamshire', Transactions of the Thoroton Society, Vol 68, 1965.

E. L. Guilford, (ed.), 'Nottinghamshire in 1676', Transactions of the Thoroton Society, Vol 28, 1924.

Quinquennial Inspection of St Leodegarius, Feb. 1994.

‘Restoration of Basford Church’, Nottinghamshire Guardian, 23 April 1857.

'Fall of Old Basford church tower', Nottingham Review, 8 April 1859.

'The Churches and Chapels of Nottingham', Nottingham Daily Express, 19 Feb. 1878.

'Destructive fire at Old Basford Parish Church : The chancel gutted', Nottingham Evening Post, 30 Nov. 1900.

'Reopening Old Basford Church', Nottingham Evening Post, 24 April 1902.

'Obituary : The Rev. H.R. Pitman', Nottingham Evening Post, 24 April 1902.

'Old Basford’s tribute to its fallen heroes', Nottinghamshire Guardian, 6 June 1921.

Trade Directories: White’s 1844, Wright’s 1868, Kelly’s 1922.

Crockford’s Clerical Directory, 1898.

Southwell Diocesan Magazine Vol. XV No. 167, 1902.

Southwell Diocesan Magazine Vol. XIX No. 214, 1906.

Southwell Diocesan Magazine Vol. XXIII No.262, 1910.

Southwell Diocesan Magazine Vol. XXXIX No. 454, 1926.

K. Train, St. Leodegarius Church Basford, (revised edn. 1976).

K. Train, 'Vicars of Basford', Basford Bystander 81, (May/June 2000).

J. Throsby (ed.), Thoroton's History of Nottinghamshire:, Vol. II, (1790).

W. F. Webster, Protestation Returns 1641/2, (1980).

Archbishop Herring’s Visitation Returns 1743, Yorkshire Archaeological Society Record Series Vol. LXXVII (1930).

H. Field (ed.), The Date Book of Nottingham, 850-1884, (1884).

G. Dawson, Church Bells of Nottinghamshire, Part 1, (1994).

S. Padley, The Pioneer’s Struggle for the Bells, (1921). Printed article, source unknown.

W. Stretton, The Stretton MSS on the History of Nottinghamshire, (1910).

W. Fyfe, Rambles round Nottingham, Vol.1, (1856).

M. R. Watts (ed.), Religion in Victorian Nottinghamshire: the Religious Census of 1851, (1988).

G. Mabbs, The Churches in Nottinghamshire, (1879).

R. Simpson, State of the Church in the County of Nottingham with Hints for its Improvement, (1836).

J.Morris, Domesday Book ( 28 Nottinghamshire), (1977).

N. Pevsner and E. Williamson, The Buildings of England: Nottinghamshire, (2nd edn.1979).

St Leodegarius Appeal leaflet, (1997).