View of the church from the west

Bestwood Village

St Mark

Nottingham Archdeaconry

Nottingham North Deanery


St Mark’s, Bestwood, opened in 1887 largely to serve an area developed as a consequence of the work undertaken by the Bestwood Coal and Iron Company, founded in 1872. The company built the colliery, the offices, cottages, the school, the ironworks and, finally, the church. The Duke of St Albans gave a piece of land of about half an acre, suitable for a church, close by the school room and the cemetery which he had given to the village in 1885. Between 1877 and 1885 a mission service was conducted each Sunday, initially in the colliery school room, and subsequently in the school room next to the church. The church was re-ordered in 2009 bringing it up to modern standards.

Particular thanks to Brian & Pauline Miller for research on this entry