For this church:
Bestwood Village St Mark
Features and Fittings
The font is five sided and made of oak, it stands 36 inches high and is 31 inches across at the top tapering down to 24 inches, it is lead-lined with a drainage hole. It is free standing and can be moved to any point in the church. On one face is a square cross with scrolled ends, the other four sides being plain. Just beneath the top rim and starting on the face with the cross is the following inscription:
The font was presented for the opening of the church by the manager of Bestwood Colliery, Mr M Wolstenholme.
The pulpit is of oak and is accessed from the chancel. It is an integral part of the chancel which is raised up three steps and projects out into the nave. On the two sides facing the congregation is the following text:
The pulpit was presented for the opening by Mr John Lancaster who was the Chairman of the Bestwood Coal and Iron Company.
The lectern is also of oak and as with the pulpit is also accessed from the chancel. On the front is the following text:
The lectern was presented for the opening by the Ironworks manager, Mr Andrew Crawford.
To the right of the lectern, hanging beneath a wooden canopy is a miners lamp and beneath it on a board the miner’s prayer:
Two brass vases with the following inscriptions:
Twenty pounds was collected some years ago for a memorial to the late Reverend B A Hill. After considerable discussion it was decided to purchase four brass vases, two for the parish church and two for St Mark’s, and to have these suitably inscribed as above. In June 1949 the vases were purchased from Messrs F Osbourne & Co Ltd. The total cost of the vases and the inscribing was £24 6s 8d and a grant from the Scout fund had been received to make up the deficit.
This reading stand is made of oak by a Bulwell man as a memorial. An inscription reads
On the upright just above the base is a wooden mouse head facing downwards. This reading stand was provided by still very active members of the family, June and Nell Robinson. The stand was made by company called Ronaldo’s Wood Carvers of Bulwell, with showrooms at 10a Strelley Street Bulwell.
The text below the brass cross reads:
In front of the Miners’ prayer is a table with the following inscription:
A flower stand has the following inscription:
Close by the organ an inscription reads:
A cupboard at the entrance to the church has an inscription which reads:
There are three bibles of note:
The first embossed on the front cover:
The second, inscribed on a panel inside the front cover:
This bible was presented by The Bestwood Mothers union.
The third bible has on a panel inside the front cover:
The Bible was presented by his sister Edith Mary Linley June 1st 1940.
Three steps take you into the chancel which projects forward into the nave, at the top of the steps you pass through an oak arch surmounted by a cross, the pulpit and lectern both of oak are both accessed from this raised chancel. All furnishing are linked together with a low oak panelled partition with an ironwork top, linking in with the banister up the steps.
Lettering on the sanctuary arch reads:
The sanctuary floor has decorated tiles with an inscription:
Incorporated into the upper hinge on the south facing outer door is the date 1887, on the upper hinge on the north facing outer door is AD.