For this church:
Bole St Martin
Features and Fittings
The massive Norman/Romanesque tub font (35 inches high and 33 inches in diameter) is octagonal with arcades and intersecting arches. It is considered among the more striking examples of a Norman font in a Nottinghamshire church. It may be 12th century, as evidenced by other similar ones in other churches dated to this time.
It is located at the west end of the nave, the correct position, but it would appear that it may have spent some time in the south-west corner of the chancel, judging by the octagonal imprint remaining in the floor there.
The below description is taken (and slightly modified) from that published in the Retford, Gainsborough & Worksop Times on May 20 1881:
Made of oak, the impressive 19th century pulpit was given in 1866 by the local ecclesiologist Sir C H J Anderson. It is octagonal, with late 16th century Flemish relief panels and Renaissance borders, on an ashlar base. The inscription around the border reads:
The panels show the story of Esther, Ahasuerus, and Haman, albeit dressed in Elizabethan-style ruffs and tall crowned hats.
The following summary of the story they tell was written by Arthur Mee in 1938:
The calvary group was installed in 1935 and is dedicated to the memory of Elizabeth Julia Glassford, the late wife of the then Reverend D.T. Glassford, as attested by a brass plaque in the south-west corner of the chancel.
Painted Royal Arms
On the north wall of the chancel is a painting of the Royal Arms dated to c.1707-1714. The arms are those of Queen Anne, but the painting was subsequently partially altered on the accession of George I.
Carved timber eagle lectern on a turned stem, dated to 1918.
There is a small, pointer-arched piscina in the south wall of the chancel.
A square aumbry is set in the north wall of the chancel.
In the chancel, given as a memorial by the children of the Glassford family at Christmas 1937, as attested by a brass plaque in the south wall of the chancel.
There is a statue of St Martin in the north-west corner of the nave, and one of the Madonna and Child in the south-west corner of the chancel.
In the 1930s there were a number of fine Arundel prints on the nave walls, which once belonged to Vernon Harcourt, Archbishop of York. These were subsequently removed and kept in the school room. The nave walls now contain small framed drawings of the 14 stations of the cross.