For this church:
Everton Holy Trinity
Official Listing Description
The following are listed:
Parish Church, C11, C12, C13, C14, C15, C16, 1841. Ashlar, random, coursed and herringbone rubble, brick, rendering, pebbledash, ashlar dressings, slate roofs. West tower, north aisle and lady chapel, nave, chancel, south chancel chapel, south porch. West tower, 3 stages first 2 rubble with prominent ashlar quoins re-cut 1983: upper stone ashlar; 2 moulded stringcourses, eaves band, moulded crenellated parapet, 2 gargoybles to west. First stage has on south side, above single round headed unglazed opening; above, clock. To west round headed chamfered window with hoodmould, 3rd stage has 4 C15 cove moulded and rebated openings with hoodmoulds, each with cusped round headed double louvred lancet with Decorated tracery. North aisle, 4 bays, has to east moulded crenellated parapet, plain parapet to west above earlier eaves band. East end has eaves band and single C19 chamfered and rebated opening containing squat triple Decorated lancet with cusped heads and above, 2 trefoils. North side has to east, C16 square headed cove moulded and rebated opening containing double round-headed lancet. To west, C14 square headed chamfered opening with hoodmould containing restored triple lancet with ogee heads. To west again, C19 square-headed and chamfered opening with hoodmould containing double ogee headed lancet with Decorated tracery. All windows have chamfered mullions. West bay has C20 lean-to boiler house, white brick, one wall stack. Nave clerestorey, 3 bays, irregularly coursed ashlar, has moulded eaves band, moulded crenellated parapet and crenellated gable with cross, 3 C16 square headed chamfered and rebated openings on each side, all with round headed double lancets with coved mullions. Chancel, 2 bays, has pentagonal apse, 1841, brick pebbledashed semicircular nodal buttresses with moulded bases and capitals, moulded eaves, hipped slate roof, 3 round-headed and chamfered windows. Above, gable with moulded ashlar parapet and cross. South chancel chapel, 1841, probably brick, pebbledashed, 2 bays, has plinth and moulded crenellatred ashlar parapet. To east and west ends, chamfered and rebated reveals with hoodmoulds each containing triple lancet with double trefoil head. South side has re-set C14 cusped ogee-headed doorway with ogee hoodmould crocketed finial and mask stops, containing C19 close boarded door. Flanked by single C19 square headed chamfered openings with single cusped ogee lancets with mouchettes, in timber. Nave south side, 3 bays, herringbone and coursed rubble, has to west, above south porch C19 square headed chamfered opening with hoodmould containing cusped head single lancet. To right, C15 square headed chamfered reveal with hood mould containing cusped ogee headed double lancet. South porch, C14, ashlar, has moulded plinth, string course, eaves band, moulded crenellated parapet, coped gable with corner buttresses, crocketed finials and cross. Single square openings to east and west. Double chamfered and rebated doorway with moulded gabled hoodmould. Interior has stone benches, C13 stoup in north-east corner; 3 octagonal corbels each side; C20 timber roof. Nave north arcade, 2 bays, C14. Central octagonal pier with moulded octagonal base and crocketed capital; keeled responds that to east with simple crocketed capital Double chamfered and rebated arches with hoodmoulds and central mask stops. Roof c1920, flat with moulded prinicpal timbers, 3 redundant corbels. Font C19 replica of Norman original, with interlaced, arcading, zig zag, cable moulding and other ornament. C19 timber pulpit with traceried panels, plain timber lectern, chamfered C19 pews with traceried panels, classical memorial tablets, 1772, 1838, 1843; one Egyptian style 1844' 4 C20 brasses. Tower arch, Cll restored C19 semicircular with chevron hoodmould. Below tower, round headed west windows, stained glass,1860 by Wailes; C19 benefactions board. To south C14 incised slab; to north, classical wall monument, 1778. Base of original Norman font. North aisle, rendered. West bay enclosed by matchboard screen to form vestry. West wall has C18 cast-iron safe door, 2 leaves, each with round headed panel. Roof 1885 with chamfered timbers. To west, board commemorating erection of apse and south chapel, 1841; to north, C20 timber war memorial cross, classical wall tablet 1828. Plain C19 pews. Chancel arch, C11, semicircular arch, with 2 orders of chevrons, circular imposts with incised block capitals and moulded circular bases. Chancel north side has single bay C15 arcade, double chamfered and rebated; to south, C19 single bay arcade, double chamfered and rebated arch with moulded octagonal imposts. To north. Classical tablets, 1803, 1805, 1832; to south similar tablet 1792. Chamfered C19 benches and desks. Apse has double rebated semicircular arch with half column responds, plain capitals and bases. Stained glass 1876-79 by Wailes. Reredos, early C17 carved panelling with intermediate figure-carved crocketed buttresses, re-used C19. Altar rail, C18 has 4 tapered rectangular panelled, carved balusters. South chancel chapel, square plan, rendered and ceiled. Outside, boundary wall, to church Lane and Church Street. Large re-used ashlar plinth, brick, triangular ashlar coping. Pair of C19 cast iron gateposts with flower finials and decorative cast iron spearhead gates Early C20 wrought-iron overthrow with decorative domed square lantern.
Monument, 1814, ashlar, chamfered plinth, square column with corvex cornered panels on each face, cross-gabled cap with acroteria. Enclosed by chamfered square curb. Inscriptions: to south 'Mary Evans, January 19th, 1814" to west illegible except 'The Rev ..... Vicar of this' to north 'Charlotte Evans, November 2, 1816' to east 'Mary Ann Evans. June 29 ......' Presumably erected by the Rev Robert Evans, Vicar 1803-1847.