Forest Town St Alban
Churchyard War Memorial
| The War Memorial
in the churchyard
| Inscription on the
front face of the
The principal War Memorial is situated in the churchyard to left of the gates leading to main door into the church.
The design takes the form of carved Elizabethan Cross, in white Kemay Granite.
The dimensions are: total Height 14ft 6inch;
bottom die measures 4ft 6in across with an octagonal die 3ft 6in by 2ft 9in; shaft of the cross 9ft 6in and is one piece of granite. The design and contruction was by Mr A H Barrowdale, Carlton Road, Worksop, Notts.
The memorial cost just over £400, paid for with a donation of £250 from the Bolsover Colliery Company, and money raised by public subscription. It was unveiled in September 1921.
On the south face (towards the road) is the inscription:
1914 – 1918
The faces flanking this carry the names of those who gave their lives during the First World War:
On the outer (west and east) faces have been added the names of those killed during the Second World War:
E. (TED) POWELL
Inside the Church
On the east wall of the church are two bronze memorials:
To the Glory of God
in Honoured Memory
Who gave their lives during the Great War
1914 – 1918
This Tablet was placed here by the members
Palm Sunday 1931
Of the Forest Town Branch of the British Legion
To the Glory of God and in Honoured
Memory of the Men of Forest Town who
Gave their lives during the Great War II
1939 – 1945
This tablet is placed here by members of the
Forest Town Branch of the British Legion
Within the church (along with some other memorials) are a number of plaques to individuals who gave their lives in service of their country.
Ada Elizabeth Young
A brass plaque on the south wall near the entrance:
Ada Elizabeth Young, B.R.C.S.
The Voluntary Aid Detachment
July 15th 1918,
Aged 33 years.
This Tablet was erected
By her Colleagues of the
Army Nursing Service
“Be Thou Faithful unto Death”
Corporal F J Munnings
Also on the south wall, a polished brass plaque:
In Memory of
Corporal F.J. Munnings,
2nd Batt. K.O.Y.L.I.
Who was wounded in the service of his Country
And Died at Boulogne, France on Nov. 15th 1914
He was a Chorister of this Church
And a Respected Officer of the
Forest Town Boy’s Brigade
By whom this tablet was erected.
On the south wall:
|Sacred to the Memory of
The dearly beloved son of
Edmund and Leonora A. Stanley,
Chorister and Cross Bearer at
This Church for fifteen years,
who served as A/B on H.M.S. AJAX
In the battles of Matapan and Taranto
And was killed in action at Crete
May 28th 1941
HIS DUTY WELL DONE